P5B-VM DO Bios settings

Billped...

Thanks for that tip.  That helped me get it to boot up.  I also had to configure SATA #1 as [AHCI] as well in order to get it to go.

Now my problem is I can't get more than the first two drives to be recognized by the new board.  I've got six SATA drives at the moment, and only SATA 1 and 2 off the main board are being recognized.  The other four ports on the motherboard don't seem to want to recognize any drives plugged into them.  I have a feeling this is more BIOS tweakage that's needed.  TIme to dive into the user guide on this thing (unless Tom has a suggestion or two... hint hint).

Thanks!

Chip

Fountainhead...

Okay, it all seems to be running smoothly.  Here are the pertinent BIOS settings (CAVEAT: I messed around with a bunch of these.  While it's working fine under these settings, I may have changed some that didn't need changing.)

IDE Configuration

SATA#1 Configuration      [Enhanced]

Configure SATA#1 as    [AHCI}

USB Configuration

USB Functions                [Enabled]

Legacy USB Support        [Enabled]

Port 64/60 Emulation      [Disabled]

USB 2.0 Controller Mode  [HiSpeed]

BIOS EHCI Hand-off        [Enabled]

USB Mass Storage Device Configuration

(My USB stick shows up twice, which was the case with my last set-up)

Set both Devices Emulation Types as [Forced FDD]

Boot Settings

Boot Device Priority

1st Boot Device [uSB SanDisk...]

Removable Drives

1st Drive    [uSB Sandisk...]

2nd Drive  [uSB Sandisk...]

I also disabled the on-board sound.

I'll holler in here if I discover any of this is either a mistake, or somehow hampers performance of the system.

Chip

Yeah I have to get around to doing that.  Your settings look ok.  We also disable ieee1394, serial, parallel support.  You should not see your Flash listed twice - never seen that before.  Make sure you're using the latest bios.  BTW, all you have to do is download the bios file onto your Flash and then use the motherboard bios update utility - works great.

Setting on-board SATA to AHCI or IDE works.  We have noticed that in AHCI mode the Hitachi 7K1000 (1TB) hard drives are not always detected from a cold power-up - no problem with other drive types.  Very strange.  We sent a message off to Asus telling them about a "cold start AHCI detection bug" so perhaps this will get fixed in a new bios release.