How are the 5900rpm 2tb drives?

LVLAaron

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148413

How are these in terms of write speed in unraid vs the 7200 rpm models? I need 3 or 4 of them to replace a huge stack of 500gb 7200rpm drives. If I can save 30 bucks a drive... I'd be happy.

They will be, at best, 5900/7200ths ( 81% ) of the speed of a write where both the parity and data disk are spinning at 7200 RPM.    If the parity disk is also spinning at 5900 RPM then you'll probably not notice any slower write speed, as it was already limited by the slower spinning parity disk. 

Read speeds are unaffected, so playing movies from your server are unchanged.  Same with parity "checks" as those are read-only operations.

I have one of these as a parity drive, and it allows writes of up to 35-40MB/s, depending on the drive being written to. I have no complaints about the drive, and have ordered another one.

They will be, at best, 5900/7200ths ( 81% ) of the speed of a write where both the parity and data disk are spinning at 7200 RPM.    If the parity disk is also spinning at 5900 RPM then you'll probably not notice any slower write speed, as it was already limited by the slower spinning parity disk.  

I dunno if he's getting 35-40MB/s writes, that's what I'm getting without the kernel tweaks using 7200RPM drives and a RAID0 Parity.

Where the speed is affected is in multiple simultaneous access during writes.

Single sequential loads/writes will use top speed of the drive on the outer tracks.

After I bumped up to 8GB and added some kernel tweaks for caching and md driver, I will burst at 60MB/s for the first 1-2GB.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148413

How are these in terms of write speed in unraid vs the 7200 rpm models? I need 3 or 4 of them to replace a huge stack of 500gb 7200rpm drives. If I can save 30 bucks a drive... I'd be happy.

They will be, at best, 5900/7200ths ( 81% ) of the speed of a write where both the parity and data disk are spinning at 7200 RPM.    If the parity disk is also spinning at 5900 RPM then you'll probably not notice any slower write speed, as it was already limited by the slower spinning parity disk. 

Read speeds are unaffected, so playing movies from your server are unchanged.  Same with parity "checks" as those are read-only operations.

This is assuming the same areal density.  The 2 tb drives, I believe, are using higher areal density disks.

The only thing I don't like about those Seagates are the contact-parking of the heads.  I didn't see any other 2tb drive that uses this method last time I checked.  The Seagates are rated at about 1/6 the start/stop cycles of other budget drives and I wouldn't be surprised if that lower rating was due to the head parking method.

I have one in my array and I made a point of loading it with a handful of disk images that I rarely access and put it in its own group so it only spins up once a month for parity check.

The only thing I don't like about those Seagates are the contact-parking of the heads.  I didn't see any other 2tb drive that uses this method last time I checked.  The Seagates are rated at about 1/6 the start/stop cycles of other budget drives and I wouldn't be surprised if that lower rating was due to the head parking method.

That and the only 2TB drive with "Non-recoverable read errors per bits read" of 1 per 10E14 compared to the rest of the "consumer" grade ones of 1 per 10E15 (ten times higher)

• 2 months later...