The "Clear Drive Then Remove Drive" Method

ryankenn

This is a stupid question, but how do I create the folder clear-me on a specific drive?  I access shares from Windows but I've never created a dedicated folder on a dedicated drive in my array before.

My new server is having problems with the cache and I think its related to the fact its plugged into a PCI-E Sata card, not the board.  I have one drive in my array that has no data and I want to remove it from the array and make it the cache to see if it resolves my issues being on board mounted SATA port.

Thanks!

I just started that process now, thanks for the heads up.  Do I have to keep Telnet open during the process?  Obviously right now I am but I see in the GUI the only indication I have that something is going on is I get spikes on the CPU cores.

With single parity I can move the remaining drives to close the gap caused by removal of this drive correct, only Dual Parity doesn't like this?  The disk being cleared is Disk 3 of 5.  I was hoping to move 4/5 up a spot but not if it means rebuilding the parity again.  I like these big drives but parity rebuilds take 26 hours for me at 10TB.

6 minutes ago, ryankenn said:

With single parity I can move the remaining drives to close the gap caused by removal of this drive correct

Correct. Just New Config, make the assignments you want, being very careful to not assign a data disk to the parity slot, and check the box saying parity is already valid before starting the array.

Great.  And I should have no issue making the drive just cleared the new Cache I assume.  This PCI-E sata card has been a big headache. 

In my config I took a screenshot before but I also have the benefit that my parity is 10TB, and I have (2) 6 and (2) 3TB data drives.  

Outside my initial question but are there threads here on good options for PCI-E expansion cards that work?  This one is from Amazon and consistently created issues.  It never relayed the Smart info in a regular way and made me think I had lost an SSD.

Edited by ryankenn
5 hours ago, ryankenn said:

Outside my initial question but are there threads here on good options for PCI-E expansion cards that work?

Any LSI with a SAS2008/2308/3008/3408 chipset in IT mode, e.g., 9201-8i, 9211-8i, 9207-8i, 9300-8i, 9400-8i, etc and clones, like the Dell H200/H310 and IBM M1015, these latter ones need to be crossflashed.

6 hours ago, ryankenn said:

Do I have to keep Telnet open during the process? 

Yes, no need if you use Screen

• 2 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...