Struggling to Get Virtio Drivers Set up for Windows VM

Ruthalas

Good afternoon folks, I have been trying to assist a friend in setting up a windows VM, but they've run in to an issue that I haven't seen before.

As far as I can tell, the issue is that, regardless of which virtio driver package they select (and download) in the VM Manager pane, when they get to the "load driver" step in a Windows (7/10) setup, the mounted drive has the 0.1.1 virtio driver package. (This package doesn't work, I assume because it is old and outdated.)

I've had him restart the server, toggle the VM Manager off and on, and select alternate (newish) virtio driver packages. But in each case, when he gets to the "load driver" step, the 0.1.1 version is mounted.

Can anyone provide guidance on how to resolve this?
If you need diagnostic logs, please let me know and I'll try to get them from him.

Edit: Pictures and Video of his configuration prior to issue resolution, for posterity.

Edited by Ruthalas
Added pics and vid

It looks like my friend found a solution.
u/Toastman89 suggested the following solution on Reddit:

I'd suggest running Q35 and not i440fx, especially if you are going to go OVMF.  But that won't have much to do with your problem.  I'd also suggest using SATA as the install media interface, but again that won't have much to do with your problem.

Everything is working just fine.  Don't worry about the version number in Windows, mine does the same thing.  And it won't hurt to use the latest version

Expand **viostor**, then **w10**, then **AMD64**, select the driver, **OK**, then watch as the drive shows up.  Carry on the install as per normal.  Success!!!

Edited by Ruthalas