image.thumb.png.202836f46aa0716d8db601f4b629e55e.png

ok

image.thumb.png.417a4b5bade21ddb67a70ae6825d8286.png

ok

image.png.6b7347abab137ee8c61a943f55711867.png

ok

image.png

4 minutes ago, Squid said:

It sounds like you are saying the massive amounts of RAW READ ERROR's is no big deal if its a Seagate?  I assume they erroneasouly report this RAW READ ERROR?

So, what I mean is I run the extended test, then download the SMART report, and the SMART report doesnt match what unraid shows from the GUI, see the GUI vs the smart Test here;

image.thumb.png.c9d15cdba4ed3e37f8cd246abc50c856.png

4 minutes ago, Squid said:

Curious what you mean by this - The SMART data is read directly from the drive

image.png.a2e358bd8af8adf420dd50c23c1de6c5.png

Assuming a Seagate Drive, its good.  If WD, throw it in the garbage

No worries

Seagate -ok- WD -garbage-

Seagate -ok- WD -garbage-

ok

ok

ok

3 minutes ago, Squid said:

It's not a human readable value per se.  It's an internal figure that realistically only means anything to Seagate, and will always show a huge meaningless number

Awesome, that's good to know!  So looks like my drives are doing fine then, excellent..  Thanks so much!

Just to add that Seagate values for those attributs do have a meaning, they just are multibit, you need to convert to hex, the last 8 hex digits show the total number of reads/seeks, and if there are only 8 digits it's fine, if there more than 8 digits those show the actual number to errors, e.g.

RAW Value - 31124080 - in hex 1DA EA70 - so only values for the last 8 hex digits = 0 errors

This would be an example from a drive with actual errors:

RAW Value - 126005584255 - convert to hex 1D 5684 A17F - again the last 8 digits don't matter, but now we now have 1D errors, convert back to decimal and that is a value of 29

You can usually eyeball the number, only huge numbers are reason for concern, you can also get the error value directly with SMARTCTL:

smartctl -a -v 1,raw48:54 /dev/sdX

• Like 2
  • 7 months later...
On 12/20/2019 at 9:08 AM, johnnie.black said:

Just to add that Seagate values for those attributs do have a meaning, they just are multibit, you need to convert to hex, the last 8 hex digits show the total number of reads/seeks, and if there are only 8 digits it's fine, if there more than 8 digits those show the actual number to errors, e.g.

RAW Value - 31124080 - in hex 1DA EA70 - so only values for the last 8 hex digits = 0 errors

Is this also true for the seek error rate?

I got pretty scared adding my new 16TB seagate to my array, preclearing got the read error rate up and up... luckily i got to this post :) 

running the smartctl command shows 0 read errors, but the seek error rate still has high, changing numbers?

• 1 year later...

Glad I found this topic. Having always used WD Reds in my array, I was quite taken back by seeing the raw read error rate values after 1 preclear pass for my brand new 10TB Seagate Exos. But using the Seagate smart calculator it reads as zero errors. Took quite a while to finish 1 pass of preclear (40 hours), I wonder if it is even worth doing two more passes. The drives have a 5 year warranty, you'd hope they would be fine (provided the mailman wasn't using the parcel for soccer practice). Interestingly, I started the preclear on both drives at the same time (both being 10TB), but their raw read error rate raw values differ quite a bit.

Screenshot_14.png

Screenshot_13.png

Screenshot_15.png

Screenshot_17.png

Screenshot_18.png

Edited by Lebowski89

I'm having a similar issue with my WD 8TB IronWolf 7200RPM Drives.  Now I see that the read error, really isn't an error.  BUT it's throwing errors on the GUI and I'm getting alerts that the drive is failing.

Other than disabling the alerts (which I'd rather not do), is there a way to have unraid return the correct value.

• 7 months later...