How do you configure a firewall

Hi, I've installed sophos xg as a VM and its up and running. My lan is on 1 92. address and sophos is on 172.

How do I get my Win 10 VM as well as my laptop Win 10 to use sophos by default? I cannot ping 172 from the Win 10 VM or my laptop. I have also tried changing the network adaptor to use 172 as the dns server but again unable to ping it or connect via the browser.

My HP server unraid box has a built in network card and main one for Ethernet and then I have an additional dual nic added which are both used by sophos.

Thanks Paul

58 minutes ago, 1812 said:

Did you setup sophos correctly? By default it doesn’t respond to pings and doesn’t allow any traffic at all.

also set your gateway as the sophos device

Thanks for your reply.

Yes I set the gateway as the sophos but did not work or able to log in to the web interface at https://172.

Only way I can get it to work was set up a vpn access on sophos and then use then client on my laptop. It must be possible to do without the vpn client? 

something in your setup isn't configured correctly is my guess. I use utm 9 and had to watch a couple videos to get all my traffic setup properly and have to constantly remember that the https port is 4444.... did you setup your traffic routing to allow wan access to anywhere, including internet traffic? there are so many variables which is why sophos, while a great product, is also a pita.