macos catalina shares disconnecting or not showing

Mlatx

Hi All,

I'm on Unraid 6.8.  I'm seeing some weird behavior with macos catalina.  If I reboot unraid, the shares don't connect with my mac unless I reboot it.  Now, I'm having a situation where the shares are visible, but I cannot see the contents.  I get the spinning loading symbol.  Did something change in 6.8 that I need to address?

• 2 weeks later...

I haven’t had any failures to mount shares with Catalina and unRAID 6.8. Always using IP so it could be an issue with using the host name maybe. Folders with large numbers of items do take a while to scan. My movies folder has about 2500 items and will take about 5 minutes to display them the first time I mount it after a reboot but that has always been the case even before Catalina or 6.8.

I haven’t had any failures to mount shares with Catalina and unRAID 6.8. Always using IP so it could be an issue with using the host name maybe. Folders with large numbers of items do take a while to scan. My movies folder has about 2500 items and will take about 5 minutes to display them the first time I mount it after a reboot but that has always been the case even before Catalina or 6.8.

I’ll try connecting via IP (can’t recall if that’s how I’m doing it or not...) and see how it goes.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • 4 weeks later...

Greetings everyone, 

The issues I'm seeing is Catalina will only connect once to my Unraid shares. Once I disconnect those shares, I can only reconnect to them if I reboot Catalina. 

I think it has to do with Catalina only supporting SMB3. 

I found this article of an individual not being able to connect to his NAS shares using Catalina. 

https://www.techarp.com/software/macos-catalina-nas-failure/

That got me thinking, perhaps using Unraid's SMB Extra Configuration settings, I might be able to instruct Unraid to only use SMB 3. 

These settings can be found in Unraid here: Settings / Network Services / SMB 

I have tried the following:

#Disable SMB1 and SMB2 for security reasons
min protocol = SMB3
protocol = SMB3

I have changed the above to only enable one line, both, etc.. I however have not been successful in finding a combination that works. Perhaps someone that knows more can assist? Or perhaps, I'm totally barking up the wrong tree. 

Thanks!

• 4 weeks later...

Thank you for the suggestion @Womabre

Unfortunately, that settings doesn't work either. As in, if I restart my iMac, I can connect to my Unraid SMB shares fine the first time. 

If I disconnect and attempt to re-connect, I can no longer connect until I restart my Mac. It's the same with my MacBook Pro. 

I'll continue to test different settings and report back if I'm successful with something. 

"E"

• 1 month later...

My issue is somehow different. I got disconnected when my Mac goes on screensaver and if unraid it's idle, I don't do any file transfers etc.

I've just edited /etc/Samba/smb.conf on unraid shell and added those:

#macos fixes
        min protocol = SMB2
        ea support = yes
        vfs objects = catia fruit streams_xattr
        fruit:metadata = stream
        fruit:model = MacSamba
        fruit:veto_appledouble = no
        fruit:posix_rename = yes
        fruit:zero_file_id =  yes
        fruit:wipe_intentionally_left_blank_rfork = yes
        fruit:delete_empty_adfiles = yes

Can say it's going bad, but I would like to know if the fix is real or I am just imagine it.

Using Mojave 10.14.6

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I have a cron job (actually a LaunchAgents script) that checks for the SMB mounts every 15 minutes and remounts them if they are not there. It is not elegant, but it works. What is frustrating is when the finder locks up during a file transfer (e.g., from fileBot). So I now just use FTP for all file transfers. It is faster and much more reliable. I don't like having FTP turned on, but since it is only within my home network, I'm risking it. It would be nice to fix the SMB issue, though.

It's a Catalina issue.  I've written emails to Apple support.  Frustrating I have to reboot everytime to connect to my files.

TM stopped working, had to sub to Acronis which uses built-in SMB and works everytime.

I did install ocsmount Pro with nextcloud server installed - That seems to get me around working files.

Hope Apple fixes it!!

• 4 weeks later...