UnRaid useage case/spec question

MASH2020

Hey guys,

Apologies if this is a stupid question, I'm here having watched a few of the LTT and assorted other Youtube vids, I've read various forum posts and am still trying to work out if this is worth doing or not.

Basically I'm thinking of building a new PC in the new year, having found out about UnRaid and multi-head setups using VMs via the interwebs. Being a computer geek it is an intriguing proposition... Question is, will it do what I want?

Use case - main computer/server for me, gaming rig/office work/internet, possibly stream games to TV (have just bought a SteamLink too) and run two VMs for 8yo kids for gaming/internet use (in separate bedrooms), oh and maybe a bit of Plex streaming/NAS backup use too once I get it all working... (currently got a QNAP TS-119 PII)

Hardware - am thinking of a 3950X in a X570 MEG ACE mobo with 32GB fast ram, 1000W PSU and individual drives for each VM. I'd use my 1080ti for main GPU, with probably a couple of RX590s or 5700s or NVidia equivalent for the kids rigs for 144hz 1080p IIyama Red Eagle monitors. 3950 is 16 core, using my minimal knowledge = 6 for me, 2x4 for kids, 2 cores for UnRaid/streaming etc?

Questions

1) Is the above a decent setup or complete overkill and is this a good solution (or would separate computers be better - I'm thinking administration of one machine is easier than 3+)

2) Nvidia or AMD for GPUs or a mix (have read about pros and cons for each, but may not still be relevant)

3) I've read passthrough of GPU and USB is a potential issue - for USB I'm thinking maybe this to get it upstairs in house to kids rooms? http://www.icron.com/products/icron-brand/usb-extenders/cat5/icron-usb-3-2-1-raven-3104/ based on Linus's video

4) WRT the VMs, obviously I need to lock them down for kid use inc browser filtering etc and are they persistent in terms of user files/profiles if they want to save stuff to their own my documents folder? I've not really had much VM experience other than for things like Autodata

That's it for now, any experience/answers greatly appreciated!

Edited by MASH2020