Blocking user from specific (private) shares?

lococola

I'm trying to configure a combination of shares and users that I think may not be possible, but I would like to double-check it here anyway.

This is how I would like it to be:

Share 1-5:

• Guests have Read-Only access;
  • User1 account has Read/Write access;
  • User2 account has No access.

Share 6:

• Guests have No access;
  • User1 account has No access;
  • User2 account has Read/Write access.

I can set it up almost 100% like above, except... I can't set the access rights for User2 on Share 1-5 to "No access". The option is simply not there, it has Read-Only access by default. I guess that is because I set up the shares with the options Export: Yes and Security: Secure? If I set the security to Private then I can set User2 to "No access", but then Guest users also have no access.

Is there any workaround for this? Basically all I want to accomplish is to have 1 specific share that is only accessible for 1 specific user, but to also lock that user to that share. So it should not be able to even see the other shares.

Edited by lococola

Your share 1 scenario doesn't really make sense. Guests are anyone, so if you don't give user 2 access, they get guest access. Even if there were a way to specify that, user 2 could just login as JoeBlow and they would be a guest. So no point in making it possible to give a specific user less access than JoeBlow

2 hours ago, trurl said:

Your share 1 scenario doesn't really make sense. Guests are anyone, so if you don't give user 2 access, they get guest access. Even if there were a way to specify that, user 2 could just login as JoeBlow and they would be a guest. So no point in making it possible to give a specific user less access than JoeBlow

Haha wow, I was so mixed up in my head with all the access rights and settings that this never occurred to me... Yeah that makes total sense. But now I at least know how to take care of this. Thanks for making sense :)

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/24/2019 at 1:03 PM, trurl said:

Of course, that doesn't really answer the OP's question about "share 6", I am also looking for a solution to "Share 6", I'd like to make a share, that others have no access too. but it only gives me "read-only". How to I complete remove access to one or more users? when it only gives me these two options?

1834145516_ScreenShot2020-01-18at2_50_27PM.thumb.png.1489115a852b363635a64c358933d9b2.png

Mmh... I'm wondering, shooting a question here: Why? 

Hold on, I'm not being THAT sarcastic, I'm really asking.

Because if it is that you made a VM/box for someone to SSH into remotely over the outside world, or something like that, and that you don't want that specific person to access that share that everyone in your household and physical real on site network can, it's a whole other realm of configuration, and a workaround could actually be done.

Like putting that VM on a different virtual network with different filtered access to shares, or plugging that box into your unraid server instead of on your network switch and configuring its accesses directly on your server.

Basically trying to say that, if that User2 is a specific machine -always-, be it a VM or a separate box, and that said User2 has no physical access to change how it's plugged into the network, there is a whole realm of possibilities in how to limit their access even to guest-read allowed shares, without a logical paradox of share rights to touch.

59 minutes ago, wesman said:

Of course, that doesn't really answer the OP's question about "share 6", I am also looking for a solution to "Share 6", I'd like to make a share, that others have no access too. but it only gives me "read-only". How to I complete remove access to one or more users? when it only gives me these two options?

1834145516_ScreenShot2020-01-18at2_50_27PM.thumb.png.1489115a852b363635a64c358933d9b2.png

Set the share Security to Private