acozad1: Can I change the High-Water mark?

acozad1

Hello everyone,

I am currently using High water as well. But I am having a little issue with this setting currently. I have a 8tb hard drive and it only filled it to 2tb and not to the 4tb like it should. So I am thinking of switching the setting to almost full. My next question is will it go back to the other drives and start filling up those drives that are only 1/2 full? I have 8 @ 8tb hard drives and one 1 @ 10tb and 1 @ 12tb with a 14tb parity disk. My 8tb drives are first than the 10tb and than the last drive in the array is the 12tb.

Happy Holidays and thank you for the input.

On 12/23/2019 at 4:10 PM, acozad1 said:

I am currently using High water as well. But I am having a little issue with this setting currently. I have a 8tb hard drive and it only filled it to 2tb and not to the 4tb like it should. So I am thinking of switching the setting to almost full. My next question is will it go back to the other drives and start filling up those drives that are only 1/2 full? I have 8 @ 8tb hard drives and one 1 @ 10tb and 1 @ 12tb with a 14tb parity disk. My 8tb drives are first than the 10tb and than the last drive in the array is the 12tb.

There are other settings that control which disk Unraid will choose when writing new files. Split level has precedence over allocation method, so if split level says a file should go together with other files then Unraid will choose the disk so the files stay together.

I'm not entirely clear about your whole picture, the history of your disk assignments, and any other settings you may have. Possibly if you would post your diagnostics we could take a closer look.

But I typically just leave things on Highwater and don't worry about it.

You have replied to a post that is nearly 9 years old, and in a subforum reserved for Unraid V5 and earlier. Would you like me to split your post into its own thread in a more appropriate subforum?

Yes, Please feel free to post it in the appropriate sub forum, that you see fit. I apologize about not putting it in the correct location. I have attached my diagnostics to this post. If you have time to look them over and let me know your thoughts on it. Again, I don't want to take to much of your time, I know its valuable. But I will be adding 4 more drives soon. 2@ 14tb and 2 @ 12tb, so I know people have different thoughts on running dual parity, what are your thoughts with me adding these drives, should I add one as a parity to my array.

Thank you and Happy Holidays.

extraodinary-diagnostics-20191225-1041.zip