Docker containers occasionally disappear


benflux

Recommended Posts

Why have you allocated 50G to docker image? Have you had problems with it filling? Making it larger won't fix anything, it will just make it take longer to fill.

 

I always recommend 20G and it is unlikely you would need even that much unless you have one or more of your docker applications misconfigured.

 

The typical way you get a docker image filling up, or get usage growing, is by having some path in an application that doesn't correspond to a mapping. Common mistakes are not using the same upper/lower case as mapped, or not using an absolute path.

 

Possibly unrelated, but other things I see with your configuration that are not ideal:

 

Most of your disks are very full, and some are still ReiserFS.

 

Your appdata, domains, and system shares are on the array instead of cache. Those shares, and their dockers and VMs, will perform better on cache since they won't be impacted by parity. And those shares on the array will keep array disks spinning. So the preferred location for those shares is all on cache and set to stay on cache.

Link to comment
1 hour ago, BRiT said:

One of the days you had an entire drive disappear from md slot 4. What happened there?

And later on looks like he formatted a rebuilding disk8. On second thought, I think this just indicates partitioning the replacement disk.

Dec 24 11:29:25 NAS2 kernel: md: import disk8: (sdk) ST8000VN004-2M2101_WKD034DV size: 7814026532 
Dec 24 11:29:25 NAS2 kernel: md: import_slot: 8 replaced
...
Dec 24 11:29:48 NAS2 emhttpd: req (22): startState=RECON_DISK&file=&csrf_token=****************&cmdStart=Start
...
Dec 24 11:29:50 NAS2 kernel: mdcmd (45): start RECON_DISK
...
Dec 24 11:29:50 NAS2 emhttpd: writing GPT on disk (sdk), with partition 1 byte offset 32K, erased: 0
Dec 24 11:29:50 NAS2 emhttpd: shcmd (26404): sgdisk -Z /dev/sdk
Dec 24 11:29:51 NAS2 root: Creating new GPT entries in memory.
Dec 24 11:29:51 NAS2 root: GPT data structures destroyed! You may now partition the disk using fdisk or
Dec 24 11:29:51 NAS2 root: other utilities.
Dec 24 11:29:51 NAS2 emhttpd: shcmd (26405): sgdisk -o -a 8 -n 1:32K:0 /dev/sdk
Dec 24 11:29:52 NAS2 root: Creating new GPT entries in memory.
Dec 24 11:29:52 NAS2 root: The operation has completed successfully.
Dec 24 11:29:52 NAS2 kernel: sdk: sdk1
...
Dec 25 12:59:41 NAS2 kernel: md: sync done. time=91774sec
Dec 25 12:59:41 NAS2 kernel: md: recovery thread: exit status: 0

And since dockers, etc are on the array, probably this is the cause of the problem. In any case, all this should have been mentioned in OP.

Link to comment
4 hours ago, BRiT said:

One of the days you had an entire drive disappear from md slot 4. What happened there?

 

On most of the days in your syslog it shows jackett docker being auto-uodated and restarted. Does that docker container actually get daily updates?

I replaced a drive with a bigger one (it wasn't a trigger for dockers disappearing). jackett does seem to be update frequently

Link to comment
4 hours ago, trurl said:

Why have you allocated 50G to docker image? Have you had problems with it filling? Making it larger won't fix anything, it will just make it take longer to fill.

 

I always recommend 20G and it is unlikely you would need even that much unless you have one or more of your docker applications misconfigured.

 

The typical way you get a docker image filling up, or get usage growing, is by having some path in an application that doesn't correspond to a mapping. Common mistakes are not using the same upper/lower case as mapped, or not using an absolute path.

 

Possibly unrelated, but other things I see with your configuration that are not ideal:

 

Most of your disks are very full, and some are still ReiserFS.

 

Your appdata, domains, and system shares are on the array instead of cache. Those shares, and their dockers and VMs, will perform better on cache since they won't be impacted by parity. And those shares on the array will keep array disks spinning. So the preferred location for those shares is all on cache and set to stay on cache.

I went to 50G because once it filled up and I had plenty to give it. I guess I can reduce down.

 

Also, how do i convert from ReiserFS? I guess I should fix the original issue before doing that anyway.

Link to comment
1 hour ago, benflux said:

how do i convert from ReiserFS?

There is a post about this pinned near the top of the General Support subforum, but here are the basic facts of the matter and there are a lot of ways to get there.

 

In order to change a disk to a different filesystem, you have to format it. So, if the disk has any data on it you want to keep, you have to move or copy its data elsewhere before the format. I will save the details of exactly how to tell Unraid to format a disk after you get a disk ready to format.

 

Link to comment

Dec 17 05:00:01 NAS2 CA Backup/Restore: #######################################
Dec 17 05:00:01 NAS2 CA Backup/Restore: Community Applications appData Backup
Dec 17 05:00:01 NAS2 CA Backup/Restore: Applications will be unavailable during
Dec 17 05:00:01 NAS2 CA Backup/Restore: this process.  They will automatically
Dec 17 05:00:01 NAS2 CA Backup/Restore: be restarted upon completion.
Dec 17 05:00:01 NAS2 CA Backup/Restore: #######################################
Dec 17 05:00:01 NAS2 CA Backup/Restore: Stopping duckdns
Dec 17 05:00:05 NAS2 CA Backup/Restore: docker stop -t 60 duckdns
Dec 17 05:00:05 NAS2 CA Backup/Restore: Stopping lidarr

Dec 17 05:00:10 NAS2 CA Backup/Restore: docker stop -t 60 lidarr
Dec 17 05:00:10 NAS2 CA Backup/Restore: Stopping medusa

Dec 17 05:00:23 NAS2 CA Backup/Restore: docker stop -t 60 medusa
Dec 17 05:00:23 NAS2 CA Backup/Restore: Stopping PlexMediaServer
Dec 17 05:00:45 NAS2 CA Backup/Restore: docker stop -t 60 PlexMediaServer
Dec 17 05:00:45 NAS2 CA Backup/Restore: Stopping radarr

Dec 17 05:00:50 NAS2 CA Backup/Restore: docker stop -t 60 radarr
Dec 17 05:00:50 NAS2 CA Backup/Restore: Backing up USB Flash drive config folder to 
Dec 17 05:01:12 NAS2 CA Backup/Restore: Using command: /usr/bin/rsync  -avXHq --delete  --log-file="/var/lib/docker/unraid/ca.backup2.datastore/appdata_backup.log" /boot/ "/mnt/user/B../" > /dev/null 2>&1
Dec 17 05:01:17 NAS2 CA Backup/Restore: Changing permissions on backup
Dec 17 05:01:17 NAS2 CA Backup/Restore: Backing Up appData from /mnt/user/appdata/ to /mnt/user/Backups/unraid email@removed.com
Dec 17 05:01:17 NAS2 CA Backup/Restore: Using command: cd '/mnt/user/appdata/' && /usr/bin/tar -cvaf '/mnt/user/Backups/unraid email@removed.com'  --exclude "DarkStat" --exclude "headphones" --exclude "home-assistant" --exclude "jackett" --exclude "medusa" --exclude "officialplex" --exclude "radarr" --exclude 'docker.img'  * >> /var/lib/docker/unraid/ca.backup2.datastore/appdata_backup.log 2>&1 & echo $! > /tmp/ca.backup2/tempFiles/backupInProgress
 


Dec 17 05:43:12 NAS2 CA Backup/Restore: Backup Complete
Dec 17 05:43:12 NAS2 CA Backup/Restore: Verifying backup
Dec 17 05:43:12 NAS2 CA Backup/Restore: Using command: cd '/mnt/user/appdata/' && /usr/bin/tar --diff -C '/mnt/user/appdata/' -af '/mnt/user/Backups/unraid email@removed.com' > /var/lib/docker/unraid/ca.backup2.datastore/appdata_backup.log & echo $! > /tmp/ca.backup2/tempFiles/verifyInProgress
 

 

 

Link to comment

Your backup is taking over an hour, more like 82 minutes... Starting at 5am and ending around 6:21 am.

 

 

Dec 17 06:21:34 NAS2 CA Backup/Restore: #######################
Dec 17 06:21:34 NAS2 CA Backup/Restore: appData Backup complete
Dec 17 06:21:34 NAS2 CA Backup/Restore: #######################

Link to comment

By comparison, my backup of AppData takes 75 SECONDS.

 

Dec 16 03:00:02 REAVER CA Backup/Restore: #######################################
Dec 16 03:00:02 REAVER CA Backup/Restore: Community Applications appData Backup
Dec 16 03:00:02 REAVER CA Backup/Restore: Applications will be unavailable during
Dec 16 03:00:02 REAVER CA Backup/Restore: this process.  They will automatically
Dec 16 03:00:02 REAVER CA Backup/Restore: be restarted upon completion.
Dec 16 03:00:02 REAVER CA Backup/Restore: #######################################
 

 

Dec 16 03:01:14 REAVER CA Backup/Restore: #######################
Dec 16 03:01:14 REAVER CA Backup/Restore: appData Backup complete
Dec 16 03:01:14 REAVER CA Backup/Restore: #######################
 

Link to comment
15 minutes ago, BRiT said:

By comparison, my backup of AppData takes 75 SECONDS.

 

Dec 16 03:00:02 REAVER CA Backup/Restore: #######################################
Dec 16 03:00:02 REAVER CA Backup/Restore: Community Applications appData Backup
Dec 16 03:00:02 REAVER CA Backup/Restore: Applications will be unavailable during
Dec 16 03:00:02 REAVER CA Backup/Restore: this process.  They will automatically
Dec 16 03:00:02 REAVER CA Backup/Restore: be restarted upon completion.
Dec 16 03:00:02 REAVER CA Backup/Restore: #######################################
 

 

Dec 16 03:01:14 REAVER CA Backup/Restore: #######################
Dec 16 03:01:14 REAVER CA Backup/Restore: appData Backup complete
Dec 16 03:01:14 REAVER CA Backup/Restore: #######################
 

Now there's an example of someone who is not utilizing containers to their full extent (or has a boring server ;) )

  • Haha 1
Link to comment

Cleanliness is next to godliness.

 

The only large quantity of data to be backed up from inside AppData is an Emby Media Library, and even with that all the real metadata and images are stored at the same level as the media so it's decentralized when compared to things like monster Plex DBs  (for instance: /mnt/user/Movies/movie_name/* or /mnt/user/TV/tv_name/*). 

 

Any and all of my development databases are backed up using native sql tools.

 

 

Link to comment

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.