Upgrade from synology

ONEILL

Hello all , just arrived here , this is a great comunity hope to learn a lot here ..... 

in that learning ... im thinking of upgrading from my synology nas ... to a supermicro ... have been seeing a few Supermicro SuperChassis CSE-848 X9QRI-F+ . to start ... but have a few questions and fears ..... would like some help just so i do not waste money since i dont have tons of it :P

My main goal , is have a NAS with capability to expande .. so far i have my 12 bay synology filled with 10tb drives with raid 6 ... i used it for mainly Plex server ( sharing with 5 or 6 family members ) and docker containers (radarr , sonarr , ombi ,netdata etx etx) , and maybe 1 or 2 vms ... i have a lot of 4tb drives arround .. and thats why i was checking the supermicro with 24 bays so i can put them in the supermicro , and expand the drives i have now .. even if its not the best to mix 10tb with 4tb .. it will give me time to have more money and starting switching the 4´s wit bigger drives ....

i have seen a few builds with supermicro and unraid ... but my questions for you guys that already have a lot of supermicros ... is ....

1 -- can i use other motherbords in the supermicro case , like only buy the case and drive arrays and stick a motherboard and cpu i have  ??

2 -- if i can use a motherboard i have , can i connect all the 24 drives  using the sata in the board and maybe like a expandable pci board to connect the rest of the satas , and will it work with unraid ??

3 -- if i cannot use a custom board and have to use the supermicro board , or it is a lot better to use the supermicro board , can it run a nvidia p2000 for plex transcoding ??

sorry if this is a comon problem .. sorry for  the trouble , hope you guys can give me a few pointers in with direction to go .....

Thanks and happy hollidays and new year

Edited by ONEILL
3 hours ago, ONEILL said:

1 -- can i use other motherbords in the supermicro case , like only buy the case and drive arrays and stick a motherboard and cpu i have  ??

Yes you can, that's what I did.

2 -- if i can use a motherboard i have , can i connect all the 24 drives  using the sata in the board and maybe like a expandable pci board to connect the rest of the satas , and will it work with unraid ??

You can use a SAS card and then connect that to an expander backplane. I used a Dell H310 flashed to IT mode and the backplane that came with my particular SM chassis is the BPN-SAS2-846EL1. Someone more knowledgeable than me can tell you what else works or doesn't.

3 -- if i cannot use a custom board and have to use the supermicro board , or it is a lot better to use the supermicro board , can it run a nvidia p2000 for plex transcoding ??

If you went this route, I don't see any reason why that wouldn't work.