URGENT - VM PROBLEM HELP! -> physical hardware ASAP

markhsa

I have an issue with a VM in Unraid I have setup as a server and its a bit critical that it is up and running in a very powerful server.

So how can I move a VM to Physical hardware in the easiest way?

I have the disk device as a raw disk on NVME ( Linux machine ) /dev/disk/by-id/nvme-Samsung_SSD_970_EVO_Plus_1TB_S59ANG0MA14014A-part4

I have shut down the VM, taken a dd to image of that partition, and now need to take that to physical.

Can I mount that Virtio into a mount point any copy files off perhaps?

Or is there a smarter way to do this?  

How to take a virtio image to Physical disk?

Thanks all.  This is for a work project so its really critical.....

Many thanks!!!!

You could actually move the NVME itself and expect to boot the OS on any machine (limited by your Linux installations boot kernel)

The dd dump of your partition can be written to another disk/media, but remember you only took the partition, so its up to you the user to ensure that your new media has correct boot loader and possibly the /boot partition. Just boot a live linux distro, and use the dd command to write it back to the target media partition.

You could also loopback mount the dd dump in another linux system to read off the files, nothing special about it.