cache drive & docker image & backup questions

rcrh

I've just set up an SSD cache drive & I've set up my appdata share as "preferred".  My understanding is that each time the mover is run everything syncs between the cache drive & the parity protected array while also ensuring that routine access to the files will be from the cache drive for performance.  

If this is right I have two questions:

1) Since the mover keeps all of my appdata backed up what is the point of the CA backup plugin?

2) Is there any reason to NOT put the docker image in the appdata share so that is also "moved" to the array and then protected by parity?

Thanks.

21 minutes ago, rcrh said:

My understanding is that each time the mover is run everything syncs between the cache drive & the parity protected array while also ensuring that routine access to the files will be from the cache drive for performance.  

No. Mover never copies, it only moves.

Turn on help on the shares page and read the description of what each mover setting actually does.

54 minutes ago, rcrh said:

) Since the mover keeps all of my appdata backed up what is the point of the CA backup plugin?

2) Is there any reason to NOT put the docker image in the appdata share so that is also "moved" to the array and then protected by parity

These two statements imply hat you do not understand how the Use Cache settings work and whether data ends up protected or not.   As was recommended I suggest you read up on how this setting operates and whether this results in data being protected.

Yup.  Seems I got this all wrong.  I'll be back later.

I think I got confused because even right after the mover completed I still had files in appdata on the array.  It didn't occur to me that it would be files that were in use during the mover operation.  I shut down all of my dockers and ran Mover again and now everything in appdata has been moved from my array.

So now I'll go and study the CA backup plugin like I should have in the first place.

Thanks all.

Edited by rcrh