Unraid keeps restarting (I'm assuming it's crashing)

Meller

Long story short, here lately I can hear my server doing full restarts.  Then when I log into unraids dashboard, it's running a parity check due to it randomly shutdowning and restarting.

I have no idea why it's doing it.  I've attached a diagnostic file which hopefully gives you guys some idea as I don't know what to look for.

If it helps, I have a Chenbro RM41824, Foxconn T2491602 motherboard, dual E5-2665's (or it's 2660's I forget), with 32GB of DDR3 ECC ram.

Thanks!

tower-diagnostics-20191226-1916.zip

Are you sure you have reliable and adequate power? Adequate cooling?

See this FAQ for setting up Syslog Server so you can get a syslog saved from before the crash to post:

https://forums.unraid.net/topic/46802-faq-for-unraid-v6/?do=findComment&comment=781601

Not related to your problem, but why have you allocated 100G to docker image? Have you had problems filling it? 20G should be plenty and making it larger won't fix anything, it will just make it take longer to fill. Also appdata has files on the array.

I can fix the docker image size.  That was something I changed forever ago because I was ignorant and didn't know what I was doing and I just never changed it back.

As for appdata on the array.  I must have missed that, I'll check it out.

For cooling and power.  I have more than enough power, plus it runs through my UPS, so it's nice clean and stable.  And cooling, my CPU's under load still rarely break 70C.

Thanks for pointing out the first two things, and I'll get the syslog set up.  Is that something you'll need to help look into what could be the issue?

*Edit** I have appdata set to prefer for my cache settings.  And the mover runs nightly.  So shouldn't all appdata files be on the cache drive rather than the array?

Edited by Meller
1 hour ago, Meller said:

I have appdata set to prefer for my cache settings.  And the mover runs nightly.  So shouldn't all appdata files be on the cache drive rather than the array?

Mover can't move open files. The best way to take care of this is to completely disable docker service. That will also allow you to delete docker image so you can recreate it at a more reasonable size.

Then run mover to get appdata moved.

Then after reenabling/recreating docker image, the Previous Apps feature on the Apps page will reinstall your dockers just as they were.

Ok, so using Krusader, I've moved the appdata files that were still on the array onto the cache drive.

I am in the process of moving the data off my cache drive (it was nearly full so close to 1TB of data) onto my array, then I'll delete the docker image to recreate it.

So using the previous app's screen in the Apps market, I can do things such as reinstall Plex and it'll automatically configure it's self back to the ports I assigned, the mapped folders, etc?

Do you think it's the larger docker image size or the fact that a plex db file was on the array that is causing my system to randomly restart it's self?

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, johnnie.black said:

Diags are after rebooting, so not much to see, see here for enabling syslog server/mirror, it might catch something.

I thought I enabled that but perhaps I did it incorrectly.  I’m learning every day.

let me figure out where I messed up on enabling and setting that up, then providing the logs correctly.

sorry I know I’m annoying and ignorant but y’all really are teaching me a lot.

59 minutes ago, Meller said:

I thought I enabled that but perhaps I did it incorrectly.  I’m learning every day.

let me figure out where I messed up on enabling and setting that up, then providing the logs correctly.

sorry I know I’m annoying and ignorant but y’all really are teaching me a lot.

The syslog included in Diagnostics, and the syslog you get from the webUI, are only since reboot.

If you have logs from Syslog Server you will have to get them from wherever you had it set to store them, zip them up, and attach to your NEXT post.

• Like 1

I'm a complete noob to all this but did it start after you upgraded to 6.8.1? I had a similar issue where my machine would lock up and I'd have to reset it, I upgraded to 6.8.2 and all issues disappeared, out of curiosity i rolled back to 6.8.1 and my server locked up that night. Went back to 6.8.2 and servers been up for 13 days with no issues.