DVB with Plex

SavellM

Hey guys,

So I was looking at getting a PCIe DVB S2 tuner for Plex use and to have everything in one place.

I currently use the unRAID NVIDIA build for transcoding support but now thinking about this, would I need to use the DVB build too?

In my head I was thinking of just attaching one of the community supported DVB tuners to the Plex Docker. Would this not work without the unRAID DVB build?

Was looking at: https://www.tbsdtv.com/products/tbs6903-x-professional-dvb-s2x-dual-tuner-pcie-card.html

If I didnt want to use TVHeadEnd or MythTV and just use Plex would this work without the DVB build of unRAID?

Lastly if yes, how would I pass this PCI card through to the docker container?

• 5 months later...

I was looking for information on this very thing - although I was hoping to use a DVB-T2 card - did you ever figure it out ? I looked at SpaceInvader Ones recent video on passing through PCI cards but that seems to be focussed on VM's only rather than docker containers.  A final thought I saw a recent conversation between a group of people complaining that the EPG for Live TV on Plex in the UK has been broken for almost a year without any sign Plex was taking that seriously - does anyone in the UK use Plex Live TV and can give some feedback ? If it doesn't work then this point is largely done since Plex Live TV without a working EPG is next to useless anyhow IMO.

• 3 months later...

Hey Guys,

Same for me. I wonder if can add a new fresh feature to my favorite unraid NAS with DVR etc...

I already use plex for years and I have a premium access. 

Now I am looking for a pcie x1 DVBT card to add in my server to use DVR with my samsung TV.

No HDHomeRun or any other kind of network tuner, I lack power plug, power cord and ethernet ports.... And it is absolutely horrible to see tons of cable around/behind your tv.

So I just need a simple DVB tuner card to be able to record live DVB-t stream.

I have the latest unraid with plex docker.

Does anyone can share experience in this thread... good or bad.

thanks

• 4 weeks later...

It works perfectly. The TBS 6281 SE dual TNT tuner is detected perfectly with a kernel provded by unraid.

I have simply use the unraid DVB plugin provided by

https://forums.unraid.net/topic/46194-plugin-linuxserverio-unraid-dvb/

or directly https://github.com/linuxserver/Unraid-DVB-Plugin

just installed the kernel with TBS, restarted my server, and immediately detected.

Then I've just added the device /dev/dvb to the plex docker config.

In plex, I simply did a full scan, configured a bit the calendar etc... and in less than 5 minutes I was able to record everything.

I tested this configuration with an intel i5-6400t and a pentium celeron J4105. Results are completely different.

with the i5 6400T, recording and transcoding is not even noticeable (less than 10% of load...)

with the j4105, recording and trasncoding require more than 20-30% of CPU. Meanwhile if you are playing a content, you jump to 100% !!

My main concerns was the mutlitasking. Plex with a celeron J4105 (or 4005 or 5005... same) has multiple limitations. The main one : the quicksync feature is not active (despite intel says it works). Consequence: playing a content requiring transcoding while recording DVB, push the platform at its limits.

With the intel i5 6400T... you can do all an lot more at the same time.

So pay attention to your architecture if you plan to use a DVB  TBS tuner.

1 hour ago, tapodufeu said:

It works perfectly. The TBS 6281 SE dual TNT tuner is detected perfectly with a kernel provded by unraid.

I have simply use the unraid DVB plugin provided by

https://forums.unraid.net/topic/46194-plugin-linuxserverio-unraid-dvb/

or directly https://github.com/linuxserver/Unraid-DVB-Plugin

just installed the kernel with TBS, restarted my server, and immediately detected.

Then I've just added the device /dev/dvb to the plex docker config.

In plex, I simply did a full scan, configured a bit the calendar etc... and in less than 5 minutes I was able to record everything.

I tested this configuration with an intel i5-6400t and a pentium celeron J4105. Results are completely different.

with the i5 6400T, recording and transcoding is not even noticeable (less than 10% of load...)

with the j4105, recording and trasncoding require more than 20-30% of CPU. Meanwhile if you are playing a content, you jump to 100% !!

My main concerns was the mutlitasking. Plex with a celeron J4105 (or 4005 or 5005... same) has multiple limitations. The main one : the quicksync feature is not active (despite intel says it works). Consequence: playing a content requiring transcoding while recording DVB, push the platform at its limits.

With the intel i5 6400T... you can do all an lot more at the same time.

So pay attention to your architecture if you plan to use a DVB  TBS tuner.

Thank you so much for updating this thread. I'll look up that tuner and see if I can mimic this!

Do you happen to know if it works in Emby? 

I've switched from Plex to Emby/Jellyfin :D 

I have never used emby yet... btw why have you jump from plex to emby ?

My feedback: plex is really a wonderful solution for movies, tv shows (RIP and already recorded...), cartoons etc... I notice the maturity of DVB and TV solutions is not at the same level of integration... some limitations witht he DVB are a bit annoying. But overall I really love plex.

Edited by tapodufeu
  • 3 weeks later...

Does the HDHomeRun work with Unraid/Plex?

And is it any use with Antenna only?

Yes... ok

I looked into them years ago, but where I live (Canada) I don't think that are compatible with either our satellite or cable providers.

Still true but Antenna is the way to go apparently

I guess I could look some of this info up myself.

OK... Did

But is this what people are talking about having to use a DVB driver for? Or is the Network connected version a good way around that?

I guess my next project is figuring out what channels I would actually get here.

Thanks

Edited by Arbadacarba

Is there any guidance available on how best to integrate hdhomerun with Plex ? I assume when you say integrated you mean you use hdhomerun for scheduling recording etc and then push the results over to Plex for them to be accessed via a standard Plex client app .

8 hours ago, d19b said:

Is there any guidance available on how best to integrate hdhomerun with Plex ? I assume when you say integrated you mean you use hdhomerun for scheduling recording etc and then push the results over to Plex for them to be accessed via a standard Plex client app

This is a Plex Pass feature so you have to start with a Plex Pass version.

The HDHomeRun can be used to record OTA shows through Plex and store them in unRAID shares for viewing via any Plex client.  Basically, you are using Plex as the channel guide/DVR for recording and unRAID as the storage instead of the native HDHR DVR/NAS functionality.

You can also watch live TV via Plex.  I have done this several times when traveling as it allows me to watch my local TV from anywhere with an Internet connection.

HDHomeRun devices are setup under the Live TV & DVR section of Plex Settings (be sure you are in Settings)

image.thumb.png.f1b2f94b104d70ab423938e0badd5d2e.png

Add the appropriate devices and enable/assign the channels you want to appear in the schedule and define device settings as you wish.

Your guide for your local market will then be downloaded and you can schedule DVR recordings in the Guide or watch Live TV from Live TV & DVR in the client.

Edited by Hoopster