Share is writing to a single disk, not balancing across drives

First unraid server so I'm guessing I did something wrong somewhere along the line.  

I created 2 shares tv and movies and gave them access to the entire pool (9 X 14tb drives + 2 X 14tb parity).

They were setup to keep 20GB free and allocation method was the high-water mark and use cache (2 X 2tb nvme) enabled and split was level 1 only

(I wanted individual movie and tv shows to all be stored on the same disk)

I begin to copy files from my old server into the shares using rsync using 2 sessions.   The targets i used was the share for movies and tv, /mnt/users/movies and /mnt/users/tv respectively.  I did not specify any specific disk (ie. /mnt/disk1, etc)

The copy was going ok but to help speed it up I removed the parity disks and set the cache to no.  (I kicked off the mover job just to make sure it cleared everything)

To avoid both hitting a single disk, I updated the included disks for movies share to be 1 -5 and the tv share to be 6-11.

I then stopped and restarted the server and reissued the rsync commands.  It looked like everything was working at that point, movies were going to disk 1 and tv going to disk 6.  I expected at around 7 or 8 GB it would switch disks...but it just kept trucking.   I wasn't too concerned with the tv rsync because I knew it was working on a big series and it had to put it on the same disk, however it just kept going as well, never switching disks.

I tried to be clever at that point and removed disk 1 from the movie included list and stopped and restarted everything.

It literally copied a single movie to disk 2 and then went back to writing to disk 1.

I decided to let it run and see what happened, I now have disk 1 and disk 6 with around 1 TB free and no sign of stopping.

What am I missing/doing wrong?

Is there a way to balance the data or do I have to start all over?

Attaching diagnostics in case it can be of any help in resolving.

Appreciate any help I can get.

Thanks!

media1-diagnostics-20191227-0946.zip

24 minutes ago, broncosaddict said:

I begin to copy files from my old server into the shares using rsync using 2 sessions. 

First thing rsync does is to create all the existing folders, and only then starts transferring the data, so since all the folders already exist Unraid will keep the data there to respect the split level.

• Thanks 2