Motherboard won't boot with SMR drives ?

Hello everyone,

I use a ASUS P8Z68-V LX motherboard with UNRAID.

I configure everything with 4x WD RED 4 To (2x parity + 2x data drives) and everything is working fine.

Before, i used two small 2"5 4To drives (Seagate BarraCuda ST4000LM024) and now i move everything to UNRAID, i try to add these drives to the NAS.

But, if i plugged it, my computer won't boot and stuck at the first screen ("ASUS, press delete to enter BIOS settings"), i can't even entrer the BIOS.

I then switch the hot swap on, and if i connect the drive when UNRAID is working, it is recognize and can add it to the RAID. But if i restart, i need to unplug the drives and again, hot plug it. No references to SMR drives in the manual of the motherboard.

I read that these drives are SMR (Shingled magnetic recording), is that a thing explaining why my computer won't boot with it ?

Thank you everyone !

K.

Hello Johnnie,

Thanks for the reply !

This is also what i thought, so i start by upgrading my BIOS firmware to the latest version (well, 2013..... - link) but no improvment. I wrote to ASUS asking for help, too.

During this time, i am writing here too, because maybe someone face the same issue, i don't really know how old are SMR technology, so maybe my motherboard is too old.

Thanks again,

K.

SMR disks are transparent to the board, so it's likely some incompatibility with that model, for example I have some 1TB Seagate SMR disks that work fine with Intel and LSI controllers and don't work reliably with Asmedia, not because they are SMR but because there's some incompatibility, similar issue with some non-SMR 2.5" Hitachi disks on LSI controllers.

Ok, i see.

I should receive my LSI controller in a week, and hoped it will work better with it, but i guess i will see.

My first goal was to stay low on budget, just bought Unraid Plus and good disk for parity and wanted to reuse my old drives (which worked fine) and some components i had from my old computer. The main idea was to add a layer of protection on my datas, and after, do some regular backup of the NAS on big drives (10To) to add another layer of security.

As Dynamax AutoFan / IPMI doesn't see my PWM controller, i guess it is the motherboard which is not really supported / good.... :(

Thanks again !