New router need to change static IP address

not2sure

I have moved across the country and have a new router provided by my internet provider. I believe my machine has had a static IP address where I was before. I can start up my machine and it boots up with the same IP address as before. I looked on my flash drive in the "config" folder and made a copy of the "network.cfg" file and opened it with notepad. It shows my old IP address in here.

How can I get my flash drive to ignore my previous static IP address and receive a new IP address from my new router and network provider.

real beginner here.

I have moved across the country and have a new router provided by my internet provider. I believe my machine has had a static IP address where I was before. I can start up my machine and it boots up with the same IP address as before. I looked on my flash drive in the "config" folder and made a copy of the "network.cfg" file and opened it with notepad. It shows my old IP address in here.

How can I get my flash drive to ignore my previous static IP address and receive a new IP address from my new router and network provider.

real beginner here.

1 hour ago, not2sure said:

Noting ijuarez's comment directly above your own, a static IP address is often the best bet for your server. Unless your old router was running on (for example) a 192.168.1.x network and the new one is all 10.x.x.x, you may want to consider leaving the server where it was. But, it is your server.

• Thanks 1

Never ever put your unraid server directly on the internet. That's what WireGuard or other VPN setups are for. Before you do anything, make sure you wont be exposing your server directly to the internet.

Typical setups are using your own router where you can make adjustments to settings and then have your PC(s) and Server(s) setup to use DHCP from the router. If you want static ip addresses, that is accomplished by setting up Static DHCP entries on the router to map from MAC Address to IPV4.

• Thanks 1

I have split your posts from the other thread into this one. Please only use one thread for a particular issue.

It is impossible to coordinate responses when you have multiple threads going. That is why crossposting has been considered a bad thing on message boards since before the World Wide Web.

• Thanks 1