What does using the vBIOS achieve?

Super noob question.

I'm using an Nvidia 1660 ti with 6.8 (although this is just a general question). It works just fine whether I use its vBIOS or not. I've looked around online a bit but can't find the answer to my question - what exactly does using the vBIOS achieve, or did I just luck out with it working with or without the vBIOS?

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

I've been wondering this too... I'm a believer in not over complicating things (this is an intellectual stance, not one I can hold to emotionally all the time) and when I found my gaming VM boots and works without the vbios I stopped there.

Am I missing out on something? Is there a reason to use the vbios if the system works?

If you have a secondary GPU and give that to Unraid to use, then you don't have to pass-through the vbios for the GPU you want to pass-through to the VM. I tried like mad to get single GPU pass-through and couldn't get the VM to POST even with vbios pass-through. So, I ended up purchasing a cheap GPU and put it in a secondary PCI-E slot for Unraid to use. I've been happily passing through my GTX 1060 ever since.

Now let's say you want to pass-through the GPU that Unraid is now using, then yes, you will have to pass-through the vbios for that GPU.

• 2 years later...
On 6/5/2020 at 8:49 PM, tjb_altf4 said:

Typically if the gpu is the primary (or only) gpu, especially for nvidia cards, you need a vbios to be able to pass it through to a VM.

This used to be a manual xml edit (some background in the linked post), but now its part of the vm template.

Should i export VM Output Signal via Primary GPU to the monitor that i am using Unraid as console?

• 4 weeks later...