How do I know I'm using the Plex Pass server version?

mhweb

Per their own docker hub at: https://hub.docker.com/r/plexinc/pms-docker they're supposed to have separate tagging: latest, plexpass, and public however they haven't updated the plexpass or public one in over a year. Safe to assume you're on the public (regular) version and not plex pass.

To utilize plexpass versions (so long as you're a plex pass holder), you'll likely need to use another docker container like linuxserver where they keep it more up to date.

In addition to the standard version and latest tags, two other tags exist: beta and public. These two images behave differently than your typical containers. These two images do not have any Plex Media Server binary installed. Instead, when these containers are run, they will perform an update check and fetch the latest version, install it, and then continue execution. They also run the update check whenever the container is restarted. To update the version in the container, simply stop the container and start container again when you have a network connection. The startup script will automatically fetch the appropriate version and install it before starting the Plex Media Server.

The public restricts this check to public versions only where as beta will fetch beta versions. If the server is not logged in or you do not have Plex Pass on your account, the beta tagged images will be restricted to publicly available versions only.

To view the Docker images head over to https://hub.docker.com/r/plexinc/pms-docker/tags/

• Thanks 1
6 hours ago, mhweb said:

So, I installed the official PlexMediaServer on unRAID, but I have a Plex Pass and I don't know if I'm running the regular version or pass version of the server. Is there any way to tell?

I use the official Docker image and all Plex Pass features work. Once you're signed in you should get all PlexPass features. 

easiest things to check from easiest to difficultest would be:

1. Install plex on your mobile device and try to sync something
  2. Create another user (try out user management)
  3. Check hardware transcoding

All the above should not work unless you have a plex pass or you're a ninja

• 3 months later...
On 12/29/2019 at 12:39 PM, GroxyPod said:

Per their own docker hub at: https://hub.docker.com/r/plexinc/pms-docker they're supposed to have separate tagging: latest, plexpass, and public however they haven't updated the plexpass or public one in over a year. Safe to assume you're on the public (regular) version and not plex pass.

To utilize plexpass versions (so long as you're a plex pass holder), you'll likely need to use another docker container like linuxserver where they keep it more up to date.

not entirely true I am using "plexpass" and am getting updates regularly

they post the updates to plexpass here: https://hub.docker.com/r/plexinc/pms-docker/tags/ oldest one is 4 days ago as of time of this writing

4 hours ago, Can0nfan said:

not entirely true I am using "plexpass" and am getting updates regularly

they post the updates to plexpass here: https://hub.docker.com/r/plexinc/pms-docker/tags/ oldest one is 4 days ago as of time of this writing

This message was posted over 3 months ago, when the post was accurate. BTW, the plexpass tag was update 2 months ago. The latest tag was updated 4 days ago.

image.png

15 hours ago, GroxyPod said:

This message was posted over 3 months ago, when the post was accurate. BTW, the plexpass tag was update 2 months ago. The latest tag was updated 4 days ago.

I have been running plex pass using both the repository: "plexinc/pms-docker:plexpass" and tag "plexpass" and been getting constant updates for over a year so but to add to it i am running the plexpass repository not the stable one so that is likely where you and I have different points of view.

To update the plex inc official docker you simply restart the container it updates then starts it. It is instantaneous available from as soon as the Plex webgui annouces the update in the orange banner

Edited by Can0nfan
I have been running plex pass using both the repository: "plexinc/pms-docker:plexpass" and tag "plexpass" and been getting constant updates for over a year so but to add to it i am running the plexpass repository not the stable one so that is likely where you and I have different points of view.

To update the plex inc official docker you simply restart the container it updates then starts it. It is instantaneous available from as soon as the Plex webgui annouces the update in the orange banner

You necro’d an near- 4 month old thread that was literally a different animal at the time of posting the information. Clearly it’s changed and I’m well aware how to update containers.

Not sure what you’re trying to gain here by doing so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
On 12/29/2019 at 6:51 AM, mhweb said:

So, I installed the official PlexMediaServer on unRAID, but I have a Plex Pass and I don't know if I'm running the regular version or pass version of the server. Is there any way to tell?

you need to edit the container and edit two spots...the repository set it to 

plexinc/pms-docker:plexpass

and edit Key 4 to:

plexpass

A third spot need editing for Hardware transcoding you need to add into the Extra Parameters: (these are for if using an intel CPU with integrated Intel GPU with Quick Sync) There is a different parameter for nVidia cards and it also requires the nVidia unraid drivers from the Apps tab.

--device /dev/dri:/dev/dri

here are the screenshots

plex repository.png

plex version.png

plex extra.png

Edited by Can0nfan
edited hardware tanscode to differenciate intel vs nvidia
1 minute ago, GroxyPod said:

You necro’d an near- 4 month old thread that was literally a different animal at the time of posting the information. Clearly it’s changed and I’m well aware how to update containers.

Not sure what you’re trying to gain here by doing so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Was just offering my experience and my help, while i was looking to move from the binhex-plexpass docker to the official one as the binhex ones were taking too long in my impatience to get the plexpass updates, noticed on my other server running the official plex container it was getting them on docker container restart not the typical way to update dockers in unRaid. so I wanted to move to the official one. No offense to you was meant this was just general information incase the OP was still wondering becasue their question wasnt actually answered when i read your post in the thread.

once they are are running it I also wanted to exaplain you dont get the usual update available in the docker tab with the official plexpass one, you need the GUI to annouce the update then restart the container, you can watch the logs and see it update