CIFS / SMB Stale File Handle

I have multiple shares mounted, and it seems this is only happening on the ones using cache.  Going to turn off cache drive for these and see what happens.

Edit:  Disabling cache drive on these shares seems to have fixed the issue.  Not ideal, but works for me in this case.

Edited by Dave1337
My solution.
  • 2 weeks later...

I had an issue like this. On my backup unraid server, I have two important shares mounted from my unraid main server that i use to store my important documents and photos.  The purpose of these shares is so that Duplicati can use them to run scheduled backups of those shares onto the backup server.  Most of the time the setup works fine, but I have recently been experiencing the stale share "issue" which has caused the scheduled backup to fail.  I have followed most of the suggestions listed in this thread but it still happens.  Yesterday morning, when I checked if Duplicati had run at 1am - you guessed it - backup failed, stale share.  I decided to band-aid the issue.

I wrote the following - very inelegant script - that checks if the shares are alive and mounted and if not mounts them. If the share is mounted, it does nothing.  I use the User Scripts plugin (available in CA) to schedule this to run in the background on a custom 5 mins schedule (*/5 * * * *).

It run all yesterday and kept the share mounted and yes, my backups were successful.  Checking the unraid log, the script had to mount them 3 times throughout the day without any obvious reason why.

Like I said, it is very inelegant and could be improved greatly by feeding the motored shares into an array and looping through them but I didn't want to spend that much time on it as it was for just me and those two shares.  For those with a little bash script knowledge, amending the script to meet your needs should be straightforward.  

Sharing in the hope that someone who has a similar situation and setup can use it.

#!/bin/bash

# shares the script is monitoring to keep alive.
documents_share=/mnt/disks/UNRAID_documents/
photos_share=/mnt/disks/UNRAID_photos/

# test if the shares are alive by seeing if ls errors but suppress that error.
documents_share_isalive=$(ls $documents_share 2> /dev/null)
photos_share_isalive=$(ls $photos_share 2> /dev/null)

# set need to mount variable to 0 as it will be tested
needtomount=0

if [ -z "$documents_share_isalive" ]
then
      echo "$documents_share is either unmounted or stale."
      # unmount the documents share. uad command to remount won't work yet if its stale. if it is already unmounted then it will just error. if it is stale then it will be unmounted.
      umount $documents_share 2> /dev/null
      # set a flag to mount later
      needtomount=1
else
      echo "$documents_share is mounted and alive. nothing to do here."
fi

if [ -z "$photos_share_isalive" ]
then
      echo "$photos_share is either unmounted or stale."
      # unmount the photos share. uad command to remount won't work yet if its stale. if it is already unmounted then it will just error. if it is stale then it will be unmounted.
      umount $photos_share 2> /dev/null
      # set a flag to mount later
      needtomount=1
else
      echo "$photos_share is mounted and alive. nothing to do here."
fi

if [ $needtomount = "1" ]
then
     echo "one of the monitored shares was identified as being either unmounted or stale and was therefore unmounted."
     echo "lets try mounting them again ..."
     /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/unassigned.devices/scripts/rc.unassigned mount auto
     echo "done. all monitored shares are now mounted and alive."
else
     echo "there was nothing for me to do, all monitored shares are mounted and alive."
fi

Edited by danioj

Having the same problem on Pop OS 20.04 and automatic mounted shares via fstab, and when the stale file handler issue happened, the only change I made was disabling the cache drive for the particular share I was having problems accessing, and it started working immediately without remounting the share, rebooting or even closing Gnome Files on Pop OS. I'll try this share without the cache drive enabled for a bit, and see it works consistently or not.

• 3 weeks later...

I have see the same on ubuntu 18 host AND a 2nd unrid server using unassigned devices to mount.  Spent ages thinking it was a problem with unassigned devices plugin...

I notice that the web UI on the server machine runs VERY slowly once this issue begins.

Noting obvs in any logs anywhere :(

Switching to vers=1.0..

I'm having this issue as well... 

I have two Ubuntu 16.04 servers and they both will throw an error after a while on my most used folders. I have the mover enabled (FYI), but haven't tied any of this to it yet.

ls: cannot access '/mnt/Tower/TV': Stale file handle

This had not been a problem until recently. I guess I'll try to use 1.0 and see if it fixes it. Very frustrating.

• 3 weeks later...

Got the same Problem with my SMB and NFS Share to my Plex Ubuntu Maschine, everytime the SABnzbd Docker was writing to that share.

I found this:

But for the first i will try to deactivate the cache on this shares, because i don't understand what are the Tunable Hardlinks for. I am worried about breaking functionality on my unraid.

Edited by sonic6
3 hours ago, sonic6 said:

Got the same Problem with my SMB and NFS Share to my Plex Ubuntu Maschine, everytime the SABnzbd Docker was writing to that share.

I found this:

But for the first i will try to deactivate the cache on this shares, because i don't understand what are the Tunable Hardlinks for. I am worried about breaking functionality on my unraid.

I have run unraid with this setting to "No" with cache enabled since January 3rd, and it works.

But yes, Unraid documentation is pretty appalling. But using the "Help" function at the "Global Share Settings" would give you some hints about what happens.

From the help function:

If set to Yes then support the link() operation.

If set to No then hard links are not supported.

Notes:

• Setting to Yes may cause problems for older media and dvd/bluray players accessing shares using NFS.
  • No matter how this is set, the mover will still properly handle any detected hard links.

Soooo, I would say: just try. Doubt you'll loose any real functionality.

• 4 weeks later...

So... Is this something we simply have to live with, if we access Unraid shares from a linux system we have do disable cache so that the mover doesn't make "stale file handler". 

Or is there something that can be done on the linux clients side to stop this?

I have the same problem as the OP, but i only have it on ONE share! I have like 10 mounted shares, but only 1 have this problem.
This share is the one that i have mapped to Handbrake. 
This is a cached share, only using smb. 
I umounted the share and remounted. Run mover. I can still access the share.
It seems most likely to disconnect only after handbrake runs a scan on the watched folder inside the share, but not always

• 4 weeks later...

Stale File Handle errors occur due to NFS or Samba losing track of a file it was referencing. Discounting bugs that means out of band changes. The cache feature of unraid (with the moving of that data) is exactly that. I'm not expert on the SMB/CIFS protocol but I'm guessing v1.0 is more stateless and therefore not as prone to the problem.

I created a work around in mergerfs for this but it does have downsides. When dealing with out of band changes it's not that easy to manage this situation.

• 3 weeks later...

Have this issue with Unraid 6.8.3. I have 2 servers: J3455Unraid and R7Unraid. I have mounted on J3455Unraid share from R7Unraid. Sometimes I got this error "stale file handle" so I need manully unmount and mount this share. How can I fix that? SMB1 is not an option. Also I tried disable hard links in Global Share Settings.

On 9/1/2020 at 2:13 PM, SuberSeb said:

Have this issue with Unraid 6.8.3. I have 2 servers: J3455Unraid and R7Unraid. I have mounted on J3455Unraid share from R7Unraid. Sometimes I got this error "stale file handle" so I need manully unmount and mount this share. How can I fix that? SMB1 is not an option. Also I tried disable hard links in Global Share Settings.

Hi, do you have the cache enabled on this share?

2 hours ago, Gian Marco Cinalli said:

Have you ever tried the Unassigned Devices plugin? It does exactly that.

I have and it doesn't as far as I can see...

I need a raid set, and with the Unassigned Devices plugin I can only share a single drive... Or if it is possible to set a few drives in a raid mode, I haven't found out how... a pointer in the right direction would be nice in that case.

16 hours ago, Guido said:

I have and it doesn't as far as I can see...

I need a raid set, and with the Unassigned Devices plugin I can only share a single drive... Or if it is possible to set a few drives in a raid mode, I haven't found out how... a pointer in the right direction would be nice in that case.

How did you go about setting up a raid that is not part of the array?

7 hours ago, Gian Marco Cinalli said:

How did you go about setting up a raid that is not part of the array?

This is done by creating a 2nd or 3rd or whatever Pool Device (it's a new function in the beta versions). Therefore I have a main raid set and an ohter raid set in the pool device (in my case a 4 disk btrf raid 1 set) and the main set is a 3 disk raid 5 (xfs)