My first (unraid) server setup (looking for expansion)

skank

Generally speaking, the only boards that pass all three levels of testing are the boards that LimeTech uses.  Don't worry about it, Level 1 is enough.  This isn't to say that these boards can't pass levels 2 and 3, just that most users don't get around to testing them at these levels.  Again, nothing to worry about.

As for a case, I would choose the CM 590 because it is the tried-and-true option.  However, the Sharkoon looks fine as well and is cheaper, so that's also a good option.  The Zalman is too expensive.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The M4A78L will only take DDR2; DDR3 will have a different "slot" and will not fit.

true

lol i just see.. i'm mistaking

i was looking at the m4a78lt-m

thats only one letter different than the m4a78l-m

that does use ddr2 indeed, ur true

anyhow i think that one isnt for me then (or you guys think ddr2 is an option????????? or better go for ddr3 as planned (not much money difference)

but founding m4a78lt-m (which is cheaper), has ddr3, socket am3, with graphics onboard, gigabit network (nic chipset?) whats the difference here with the m4a785t-m?

Generally speaking, the only boards that pass all three levels of testing are the boards that LimeTech uses.  Don't worry about it, Level 1 is enough.  This isn't to say that these boards can't pass levels 2 and 3, just that most users don't get around to testing them at these levels.  Again, nothing to worry about.

Ok good to know

but now i found another mainboard, called asus m4a78lt-m , which is not on the list, will it work?

As for a case, I would choose the CM 590 because it is the tried-and-true option.  However, the Sharkoon looks fine as well and is cheaper, so that's also a good option.  The Zalman is too expensive.

what do you mean with "tried and true option" ?

difficult to decide between those two cases, any advantages/differences you see in the cm 590 over the sharkoon?

By tried and true I mean that many, many unRAID users (probably hundreds) have used the Cooler Master 590 with great success.  In fact, even LimeTech uses it in one of their builds (the RB-1200).  To my knowledge, only a few people have used the Sharkoon case.  This doesn't mean that there's anything wrong with the Sharkoon case, it is just that most unRAID users seem to be American and Sharkoon isn't readily available in the US.

I see nothing wrong with the Sharkoon case, so if you prefer it or just want to save some money, I say go for it.

Here's an example of a nice build in a Sharkoon case:

neilt0's rig

Pretty much every page in the Pimp Your Rig thread will have a picture of a build using the CM 590.

The M4A78L will only take DDR2; DDR3 will have a different "slot" and will not fit.

true

anyhow i think that one isnt for me then (or you guys think ddr2 is an option????????? or better go for ddr3 as planned (not much money difference)

but founding m4a78lt-m (which is cheaper), has ddr3, socket am3, with graphics onboard, gigabit network (nic chipset?) whats the difference here with the m4a785t-m?

You won't notice a difference between DDR2 and DDR3.  

Comparison

M4A78LT-M:  760G North Bridge, ATI 3000 on-board graphics

M4A785T-M   785G North Bridge, ATI 4200 on-board graphics

Go with the best deal.  Both will work fine.

true

You won't notice a difference between DDR2 and DDR3.  

Comparison

M4A78LT-M:  760G North Bridge, ATI 3000 on-board graphics

M4A785T-M   785G North Bridge, ATI 4200 on-board graphics

Go with the best deal.  Both will work fine.

Well, m4a78LT-m is best price :)

when i ordering im gonna make sure its not the LE Version

also ddr2 seems more expensive than ddr3 (lol thats strange, i thought ddr3 was faster and would cost more..)

anyway, if you guys assure me m4a78LT-M will work fine.. then that will be my mainbord..

Kingston will be the ram but not sure 1x2gb or 2x2gb

Taking a closer look at http://www.pcper.com/article.php?aid=757&type=expert&pid=5 thx to a friend ..

M4A78LT-M -> AMD760G chipset

M4A785T-M -> AMD785G chipset

It seems most difference is in the graphical capacities, so not important for unraid

it also says the 785 chipset  uses less energy but immediately after that they say they tested the 785chipset with ddr3 and the dd760 ddr2, so that might be the reason

So with ddr3 it will be almost the same i pressume

+ it costs less

so the choice for m4a78LT-M is definit now !

nice tells us more when you got it up and running.

btw do you have a usb stick to boot from. get a good quality usb stick like corsair/kingston/sandisk ( keep it in the range of 4GB, smaller is day days even harder to get)

also did you have a look at an PSU?

1x2gb should be enough, you can always stick some more in later.

nice tells us more when you got it up and running.

btw do you have a usb stick to boot from. get a good quality usb stick like corsair/kingston/sandisk ( keep it in the range of 4GB, smaller is day days even harder to get)

also did you have a look at an PSU?

1x2gb should be enough, you can always stick some more in later.

usb stick, i got one here somewhere :)

about PSU, hard part :)

any suggestions?

i've looked into that part (about v12) but i dont understand it much...

Max expantion will be 15 hdds i think

so 500Watt? or less? or more?

about the ram

since its dual... i thought 2x2 runs smoother and more energy efficient?

any suggestions?

about the ram

2x2gb is nice but you where on a budget :) but if you have the money get a 2 stick of 2gb memory

Cosair PSU are nice and a 500w should be enough for green Hard Disks (WD green, Seagate LP)

but if you go for 7200 rpm disk you better get 700w.

go for a single rail PSU so you don't have to worry about how each rail is being loaded

http://www.corsair.com/products/vx/default.aspx

By tried and true I mean that many, many unRAID users (probably hundreds) have used the Cooler Master 590 with great success.  In fact, even LimeTech uses it in one of their builds (the RB-1200).  To my knowledge, only a few people have used the Sharkoon case.  This doesn't mean that there's anything wrong with the Sharkoon case, it is just that most unRAID users seem to be American and Sharkoon isn't readily available in the US.

I see nothing wrong with the Sharkoon case, so if you prefer it or just want to save some money, I say go for it.

neilt0's rig

Pretty much every page in the Pimp Your Rig thread will have a picture of a build using the CM 590.

FYI, mine is a Rebel 12, not a Rebel 9. I haven't really looked at the 9, so couldn't tell you what the differences are...

Hi skank!  :D

We've been sharing ideas on a Dutch A/V forum as well the last few days.

Now I know why I had you two confused over on mpcclub.  Welcome to both of you, and I hope you find the information and help you need.

To add more confusion, I'm not on mpcclub!

The plot thickens!  ;D

haha!

neilt0's rig

FYI, mine is a Rebel 12, not a Rebel 9. I haven't really looked at the 9, so couldn't tell you what the differences are...

mmm if you compare rebel 12 to the coolmaster 590 case... what are main differences/advantages over eachother?

any suggestions?

about the ram

2x2gb is nice but you where on a budget :) but if you have the money get a 2 stick of 2gb memory

Cosair PSU are nice and a 500w should be enough for green Hard Disks (WD green, Seagate LP)

but if you go for 7200 rpm disk you better get 700w.

go for a single rail PSU so you don't have to worry about how each rail is being loaded

http://www.corsair.com/products/vx/default.aspx

ok so probably a 500Watt corsair vx.. might do? (max 15 drives)

The Corsair 500W VX is discontinued and generally hard to find.  Therefore, I don't know the specs on it.

The Corsair 500W CX may work, but it is cutting it a bit close.  The 500W CX has a 34A +12V rail, 30A of which would be used up by 15 green drives.  That only leaves 4A to cover the rest of the stuff on the +12V rail (fans, motherboard, etc).  If you throw any 7200 rpm drives into the mix, you will likely be over spec.

Instead, I recommend the Corsair 550W VX which has 41A on the +12V rail.  Plenty of head room for all your drives and other components.

The obvious comparison between the Sharkoon Rebel 12 and the CM 590 is that the Sharkoon can support up to 20 drives while the CM 590 can support up to 15 drives.  A more fair comparison is the Sharkoon Rebel 9 vs. the CM 590, as both can support up to 15 drives.  I can't really comment past that since I haven't ever used a Sharkoon case.  The pictures look nice, though.  I expect both cases will suit you well.

The Corsair 500W VX is discontinued and generally hard to find.  Therefore, I don't know the specs on it.

The Corsair 500W CX may work, but it is cutting it a bit close.  The 500W CX has a 34A +12V rail, 30A of which would be used up by 15 green drives.  That only leaves 4A to cover the rest of the stuff on the +12V rail (fans, motherboard, etc).  If you throw any 7200 rpm drives into the mix, you will likely be over spec.

Instead, I recommend the Corsair 550W VX which has 41A on the +12V rail.  Plenty of head room for all your drives and other components.

The obvious comparison between the Sharkoon Rebel 12 and the CM 590 is that the Sharkoon can support up to 20 drives while the CM 590 can support up to 15 drives.  A more fair comparison is the Sharkoon Rebel 9 vs. the CM 590, as both can support up to 15 drives.  I can't really comment past that since I haven't ever used a Sharkoon case.  The pictures look nice, though.  I expect both cases will suit you well.

the 550 VX looks nice too but is 25 euro more..

you say the cx might work with 15 drives, thats ok for me then since 15 really is the max im gonna build in -> perhaps i will only go for 13 drives, cause the cages 5 in 3 is too expensive according to me...

that way i can make a second server instead :P

its even far away, since i only got one 2tb hdd yet (still not full)

so still a long way to go to 13 drives :)

so with this info, i think the 500cx will do

about the case, since theres no big difference between the cm 590 and the sharkoon ill probably go for the sharkoon .. thatway i save 25 euro , so i can pick up the faster mobo and cpu

Message is quite clear actually, thanks.

1) You need a good single rail power supply (which the corsair ones are).

2) For a 15 disk build the Corsair CX500 is a bit too tight regarding max watts and amps.

The CX600 (70 EUR) or VX550 (75 EUR) seem to offer a bit more headroom, with the VX appearing to be more energy efficient.