Advice on USB boot issue please

After a couple of previous Unraid trials I finally went and bought a new usb and started building my real array about 5 days ago. But I went to start the server this morning and now the USB won't boot. :(

I get an error saying "Restart and Select proper boot device". This happened once before, a couple of days ago, and I took the USB out and put it in my Windows laptop and ran a scan and repair. That completed successfully and it was fine for a couple of days. But the same fix won't work this time. The contents of the USB are all readable from Windows, it just won't boot, so my assumption is that the USB is fine.

I've got a bunch of questions and concerns about this but the main one is: How do I find out what's causing this and make sure it doesn't happen again?

A close second is: How can I fix this USB so it works again?

Any and all advice will be appreciated.

45 minutes ago, ghost82 said:

You can try this: from windows, open a cmd with admin priviledges and run the make_bootable.bat file.

Thanks, that did the trick. Appreciate your help.

The screen looked weird on the next reboot; but at least I'm up and running again.
IMG_20191231_104939.thumb.jpg.e02fa9089760b7fd5d05b88f71fa8f46.jpg

I still wish I knew what caused this and what will stop it happening again.

Thanks again.

It's actually USB2 ports that are more reliable. And USB3 speed isn't useful anyway since flash is mostly only used to load the OS into RAM at boot, and to record webUI settings. You don't need more speed than USB2, and you don't need more capacity than 2GB.

Do you have a backup of flash? You should always have a current backup of flash. You can easily download a zipped copy of flash at Main - Boot Device - Flash - Flash Backup. You should take a new backup anytime you make any significant changes in your settings in the webUI. It is especially important to get a backup any time you make any changes to disk assignments (add, replace, remove).

As long as you have a backup, you can always get going again from a fresh install on the same or a new flash by simply copying the config folder from your backup. That config folder contains everything about your specific configuration, all the settings you have made in the webUI.

In fact, I recommend you do that now to fix your messed up boot menu and who knows what else. Get a backup, prepare flash as a new install, restore the config folder from the backup.

• Thanks 1
7 minutes ago, trurl said:

... In fact, I recommend you do that now to fix your messed up boot menu and who knows what else. Get a backup, prepare flash as a new install, restore the config folder from the backup.

Thanks. Will do. 

When you say "prepare flash as new install"; is that just running the media creation tool again? Will that maintain the same trial licence because it's the same USB?

11 hours ago, trurl said:

It's actually USB2 ports that are more reliable. And USB3 speed isn't useful anyway since flash is mostly only used to load the OS into RAM at boot, and to record webUI settings. You don't need more speed than USB2, and you don't need more capacity than 2GB.

Yes, sure, thats what ive meant, sorry.

Edited by nuhll