First Drive Failure and Rebuild wooohoooo

I didn't take any logs or anything of the sort and I'm probably an idiot or not noting anything.

However over this ThanksGiving week I was watching a movie and I noticed when I started it up on XBMC it seemed to be a bit slower to start up than normal. Of course with all the snow outside and the crowd in my house I just went along with it. Watched the movie and then I ended up going into my office/computer room and I was showing off my server and somebody asked how the interface looked. I showed them the interface and low and behold I had a down drive. Looked through the logs real quick and really couldn't tell what caused the problem, but the control panel said the drive was disabled. The times showing the failures appeared to be within the same exact time frame as the slow start up period. I could only assume that when it tried to wake up the drive it couldn't so it did what it could and emulated the bad drive.

Shut down the array, checked the cables, thought I have a pre_cleared spare so why don't we get this backup and running and then tinker with the old drive when we have time. Of course I didn't have to since it was eumlating just fine, but my fear of having another drive die spooked me. Threw in the spare and let it rebuild the array. Continued watching movies while it rebuilt and when it was done ran a Parity check and everything seems fine with no errors.

Needless to say with 10 or so people in my house at least 5 of them had their Jaws nearly scraping the carpet knowing that a little 2.8ghz machine was performing a rebuild while we watched movies and listened to some music. 2 of them die hard hardware Raid guys that never heard of unRAID mentioned that they would like the same system in their house.

Anyways I just wanted to throw some praise to this site and unRAID because without the many hours of just reading and seeing the support I'm sure I wouldn't of been as patient and as confident that things would build up and work just fine knowing that the very drive that died had the majority of my movies on it.

unRAID user for life now. ;)

From my initial glance at the Syslog it looked like a possible cable connection, but not knowing exactly what the system called it I wasn't 100% sure.

Now for logging is there a way to have it log to other than RAM? Maybe the USB stick its self?

I have notifications on and even tested it and couldn't figure out why I did't recieve a message. I'm pretty sure it should of sent out at :47, but don't remember getting one. When I was doing a pairity check I do recall getting them every :47 after every hour until complete.