VM not passing through graphics card without any changes

J89eu

Well I've managed to get it working. I reverted back to 6.8.3 and then upgraded again to 6.9 Beta 1. Ran the script to disconnect the Vega 56 GPU and then created a new VM which then booted. I have restarted the server and then it stops working but if I repeat the steps, it seems to get it working. So it seems I need to do that each time. I'll just try not to reboot ever!

• 2 weeks later...
17 minutes ago, J89eu said:

Is there a simple way to install the navi/vega patch to 6.9 Beta 1? I wonder if this could help.

No simple way. I posted previously about the custom kernel compiled by a forum member with navi and vega patch and optionally 5.5.8 kernel. That "optional" part would be equivalent to 6.9 beta 1 with navi/vega. So I suggest you have a read of that post instead of just dismissing it as too complicated.

Hi, I am not dismissing it at all, It's quite a kick in the teeth to see you write that really. I've been struggling with this issue with 5 months with barely a response from anyone. I'm not getting angry at anyone or complaining, just want to get it sorted. Clearly 6.9 fixes the issue some way in what I was having as I had the VM working for 10 full days. Downgrading back to an older kernel to only patch it back to what 6.9 is running just seems bonkers now, not sure what the point of that would be... I've read that post, though the guy is being helpful and I, and I'm sure many, appreciate his help, the English is difficult to follow which means a difficult task is made that much harder. I've commented several times in that thread and not really got any closer to understanding what I was doing.

51 minutes ago, J89eu said:

Hi, I am not dismissing it at all, It's quite a kick in the teeth to see you write that really. I've been struggling with this issue with 5 months with barely a response from anyone. I'm not getting angry at anyone or complaining, just want to get it sorted. Clearly 6.9 fixes the issue some way in what I was having as I had the VM working for 10 full days. Downgrading back to an older kernel to only patch it back to what 6.9 is running just seems bonkers now, not sure what the point of that would be... I've read that post, though the guy is being helpful and I, and I'm sure many, appreciate his help, the English is difficult to follow which means a difficult task is made that much harder. I've commented several times in that thread and not really got any closer to understanding what I was doing.

On the other topic, you posted a short query which was answered by beemac on 12 Mar but no subsequent response from you.

If you are really struggling with compiling your own kernel, then perhaps you can try just use the compiled files instead.

1. Backup your USB stick and make sure the backup is accessible and restorable in case you need to.
  2. Download 6.8.3 zip from Unraid
  3. Download 6.8.3-5.5.8.zip from the post I quoted previously
  4. Extract (2) to a folder
  5. Extract (3) to the same folder as step 4. You should be asked to overwrite TWO files.
  6. Take what is in step 5 and copy over to your USB stick. You should be overwriting quite a number of files.
  7. Reboot with the new USB stick. You should be booting on 6.8.3 with 5.5.8 kernel as well as Navi patch.

Thanks for that, I successfully completed that, though I did lose my static IP and one of my cache drives that was easy to fix. I still can't get the VM to work though. It does switch over to the VM on the GPU like before and then goes into standby. If I try to disconnect the GPU using the script that Spaceinvader One made I just get the following

/tmp/user.scripts/tmpScripts/AMD Reboot Bug Fix/script: line 8: echo: write error: Device or resource busy

I did get that often on 6.9 though, and that happens whether or not I try to boot the VM before running the script or after...

:(

Since I've made the changes I'm getting some quirks, the plugins menu no longer seems to work and some plugins that I can access in other menus are very slow... Any ideas what could be causing that? Still no luck with the VM despite a further 20+ attempts today

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...