How Unraid NVIDIA & DVB for streaming ?

Hi,

I'm a relatively new fan of UNRAID, but at some point it is ..... unflexible.

I moved all my dockers and services from my OMV build to UNRAID.

But one thing drives my nuts. I want to transcode in emby.  Therefore I bought a NVIDIA card (GTX 1050) as it supports complete support for transcoding AND encoding.

I also use Tvheadend.

After the installation of the NVIDIA Plugin the DVB Plugin is gone.

Is there no way to use both of them in Unraid ?

At least would it be possible to passthrough the DVB-card in a VM ? 

THX 

1 minute ago, batesman73 said:

After the installation of the NVIDIA Plugin the DVB Plugin is gone.

Is there no way to use both of them in Unraid ?

Not unless you can persuade someone to put together a build that incorporates both sets of drivers.

2 minutes ago, batesman73 said:

At least would it be possible to passthrough the DVB-card in a VM ?

Yes if your hardware supports hardware pass-through (IOMMU).

Hi

I'have the same issue since I changed to unraid, and I think that the way how Limetech resolve driver-integration in unraid is a big painpoint.

I think there is no other way than that we have to build/compile an own unriad-distribution with this instructions:

https://wiki.unraid.net/Building_a_custom_kernel

But I don't have any expirence with compiling unraid and drivers.

What I've to do when I want to compile unraid 6.8.0 with nvidia and librelec drivers?

PS: External DVB Device is not an option for me.

Regards

Because I already bougth a USB TV Stick (Hauppauge Dual HD) with 2 DVB-C receiver, it was very cheap (~60$), it works great, channel switching is very fast and the power consumption is very low - it's the perfect solution for my requirements.

I don't understand why I should buy an additional external device when I have the allmighty unraid system. :)

Do you know how I can compile unraid 6.8.0 with nvidia and dvb (Libreelec) drivers?

Or do you know someone, who has the needed skills and whould be so kind to do that for me? :)

1 hour ago, Rokk said:

Do you know how I can compile unraid 6.8.0 with nvidia and dvb (Libreelec) drivers?

Or do you know someone, who has the needed skills and whould be so kind to do that for me? :)

That would be a yes from me, as I maintain both.  As I've mentioned before I don't have the free time to develop this at the moment, due to work commitments and an impending new baby.

FWIW, I've bought an external ethernet DVB device, so no longer use the DVB plugin, although I still maintain it.  You're getting sound advice from @BRiT

To put it in perspective, the $60 you paid for your hardware is nowhere near going to cover the cost in time if I were to charge for developing a dual DVB/Nvidia build.  (not that I do charge, but just to give you an idea of what you're asking for)

It would have been prudent to ask some questions before paying out for hardware.  Remember that neither Nvidia or DVB are developed by LimeTech, they are maintained by the community (well me for DVB &  me & @bass_rock, in the case of the Nvidia plugin)

Edited by CHBMB

Hi,

to be honest I don't understand why so many drivers already included in the mainline kernel aren't included in UNRAID in the first place.

They are maintained by the kernel developers ... so no effort for this.

Is this such a huge security risk ? At least for DVB drivers I don't see how they would harm the system.

Also, dvb drivers are a total mess, just look at how many different build CHMB has to do and even then there are times where updates to those drivers break existing hardware, just look at the support threads.

Overall, the simplest and easiest approach forward for tuner users is to switch over to external ethernet mapped devices. All problems solved and no need for host level drivers.