6.8 UPS Run Time?

clevoir

I have 2 UnRaid Servers running 6.8, each protected by a APC Back-UPS RS800 UPS (Nominal Power 540W)

Both servers are showing around 120W UPS 23% UPS Load, however one is showing 35 minute run time and the other 6 minute run time (sometimes this drops below 5 minutes and is shown in red).

The battery in the UPS feeds the server with the shortest run time is circa 5 years old, but the UPS is not indicating a battery issue

As a precaution I have just replaced the battery, however the run time is still the same???? I haven't tried swapping the UPS's between the 2 severs yet.

I attach a diagnostic fille

tower-diagnostics-20191231-1733.zip

I am now tried a hard re-calbrate and it not made an difference

image.png.ccd19819a6e0d69b571102aac6555200.png

image.png.4cfd8913d6594559562dd78bb84967c5.png

Even though both systems show similar loads, one has 20 disks (the one with 5 mins left) and the other 9 disks. This is with all disks running on arrays

Instead of thinking there is a fault with the shortest run time, could there be a fault with other array reporting the wrong loading.

image.png

image.png

You have one UPS only, no reason have 2 different reading. Pls check or post what data you got in UPS info page. ( I suspect the shortest run-time one was show some old data, this run in client and share by another Unraid ? )

For example, my UPS share the info thr network, all client will show same info.

Edited by Benson

I have 2 UnRaid Servers each fed by separate APC UPS's (One 20 disk and the other 9 disk). Both UPS's are the same model APC Back-UPS RS8000

Each UPS is showing similar loadings, however the run times are different - which the load shots show

The UPS showing the shortest run time I have replaced the battery, and it has made no difference to the run time (you would think it would increase as the original battery was 5 years old).

I have carried out a hard re-calibration test of the UPS with the new battery, but this did not make any difference in run time

I hope this clearer to readers now

OK, you have 2 UPS in same model.

I think problem was you haven't well balance the charge capacity on each battery or one of battery was fault, so you will got abnormal runtime. To verify, just swap the battery between 2 UPS, if result negative then it may be fault on UPS. ( I suppose your UPS use 2 battery )

When install new battery, best could be charge each in equal capacity before installation. ( If their charge capactity have big different, then problem will occur )

Edited by Benson
3 hours ago, clevoir said:

(One 20 disk and the other 9 disk

You have different run times because you have different loads on the server. 20 disks will take more power to spin than 9 disks will, therefore, given the same battery capacity of the two UPSs, their runtime will be different. 

Bear in mind that unless your collection of 29 drives are all identical models, each drive will also consume different amounts of power. Even different firmware revisions of otherwise identical drives may have different power consumption levels. Even if you happen to have the least power hungry drives in the 20-drive system (7200 RPM drives will generally consume more power than a 5400 RPM drive, for example) the memory, motherboard, CPU, GPU, etc are all burning through the battery life. 

Unless you're running exactly identical hardware in both computers, I'd be shocked (no pun intended) if two identical UPSs (model, battery model, battery age) were to report identical run times.

I appreciate what you are saying, but despite 1 server having 20 disks and the other 9 disks, both servers are reporting very similar loading's which is why I would assume that run times to be similar, especially as exactly the same make / model of UPS is being used.

I have now swapped UPS's between the 2 servers, and the run times swap?

So Server 1 20 Disk runtime was cira 5 mins, now shows runtime cira 33 mins (UPS 1)

And Server 2 9 Disk runtime was cira 33mins, now shows runtime cira 5 mins (UPS 2)

I have replaced the battery in UPS 1 (it was 5 years old), which had no effect on run time. I have also carried out a hard re-calibration test too (by plugging in a 500W lamp, letting the UPS discharge and then full recharge again) - this had no effect on run time

I haven't tried swapping batteries between UPS's yet, but it looks like I either have a fault with UPS 1 or it's reporting the wrong run time?

1 hour ago, clevoir said:

(by plugging in a 500W lamp, letting the UPS discharge and then full recharge again) - this had no effect on run time

You should not full load it during calibration, then it will remember that runtime. You may try a simple step before swap battery, just plug a light load on UPS and disconnect mains in shorttime, then check again the runtime. That's all.

Edited by Benson

Pls try it, just a simple step. If it work I can explain the reason. Main point was does runtime would change or not.

Not exactly need a light load, just shutdown Unraid and other critical load, then disconnect mains in shortime and check the runtime again.

Edited by Benson