Looking for new server recommendations

benyaki

Hello! Just looking for a little bit of guidance on selecting a new server. The one that I currently have is a 24 bay supermicro build from YEARS ago (10?) that was through tamssoltions if anyone remembers that.

I was looking to buy something that is already built, either a 2u or 4u (though likely 4u, see further on).

I use it primarily for plex, but will add on some other light docker containers for home automation, cloud storage etc.

The problem right now is that I am still halfway through updating my HDDs and have been sing 4TB drives for awhile. I currently have a wide mix of drives (16 drives including dual parity and a cache pool of 2 drives) with about 36TB of sable storage. YES, I could move things over to 16TB drives or even 8TB drives, but I would rather not put that money into drives right now.

I was looking at something along the lines of a R710 server with a fair amount of ram, dual CPU etc for a relatively low price on ebay, but obviously there are not enough drive bays. 

Just wondering if anyone has some suggestions on any prebuilt servers with more bays that is of decent performance. Honestly the last time that I looked at hardware was years ago, so I am very far behind on what is good, too much for what I need, or not enough. Like I said, mostly plex, some other light docker containers, and probably a fair amount of transcoding for remote or local steams.

If anyone wishes to provide some guidance and needs additional information, please just ask!

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

I have a Dell R510 12bay with a H200 in IT mode. It has x5670 x2 CPUs and 64gb of ram. It has been a set it and forget it setup that I would recommend to anyone. It will run anything I throw at it. I recommend it over the R710 just based on drive expectations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...