JasonJoel

Colors when on unraid console

15 posts in this topic Last Reply

I guess I'm getting old... I simply can not easily read some of the text on the unraid console when I get in there. The green background highlighting with blue text messes with my eyes.

Is there any way to change that?

Example, see the text on the directory listing:

Capture.PNG.76dbee75c8a52e01d2a98b77f6b78dbc.PNG

Edited by JasonJoel

One option would be to use Putty from your desktop instead of the built-in terminal which will allow you to adjust any given colour.

Very true, and I can certainly do that. It is just to tantalizingly easy to click the terminal button when in the interface, though. :)

To your point - putty is a fine workaround if it can't be changed.

Edited by JasonJoel

1 minute ago, JasonJoel said:

if it can't be changed.

doubt if it can without css changes on that subsystem....  I wouldn't hold your breath

10 hours ago, JasonJoel said:

The green background highlighting wsith blue text messes with my eyes.

I feel the same, rarely use the builtin terminal for that reason, you should create a feature request for this, I've meaning to do it for some time.

15 hours ago, Squid said:

@JasonJoel I've got a 12" monochrome CRT in my garage I'm willing to part with. Cheap!

Just can't bring myself to part with it quite yet. If you say no to it, I might just have to toss it in the bin...

2020-01-01 10.56.12.jpg

...came here to look for a solution to the same issue.

The problem as I understand it, is in the environment settings of "LS_COLORS" and "LS_OPTIONS".

Normally something you would specify in your .bashrc file.

For user root in unRAID, a .bash_profile exists, but I could not add any new LS_OPTIONS or LS_COLORS setings and make them stick.

I now solved this issue by simply adding "alias ls="ls --color=never" to the end of the .bash_profile...now everthing is simple, without colors.

IMHO much better than before ;)

Who the heck made blue with a green background the default ??

Posted (edited)
On 12/31/2019 at 11:39 PM, JasonJoel said:

I guess I'm getting old... I simply can not easily read some of the text on the unraid console when I get in there. The green background highlighting with blue text messes with my eyes.

Is there any way to change that?

Example, see the text on the directory listing:

Capture.PNG.76dbee75c8a52e01d2a98b77f6b78dbc.PNG

You can change with the environment variable LS_COLORS. The dircolors command allows you to import a new set of colors:

eval `dircolors dircolorsfile`

e.g.

image.png.aabe26ad215c4c2884b936c3b3fc5ce8.png

Edited by cinereus

While we're at it, what does a blue text / green background folder mean? I somehow managed to change my Plex data folder to simply blue text and now it's the only folder in my appdata that isn't green background.

On 4/19/2020 at 2:41 PM, Ford Prefect said:

...came here to look for a solution to the same issue.

The problem as I understand it, is in the environment settings of "LS_COLORS" and "LS_OPTIONS".

Normally something you would specify in your .bashrc file.

For user root in unRAID, a .bash_profile exists, but I could not add any new LS_OPTIONS or LS_COLORS setings and make them stick.

I now solved this issue by simply adding "alias ls="ls --color=never" to the end of the .bash_profile...now everthing is simple, without colors.

IMHO much better than before ;)

Who the heck made blue with a green background the default ??

I would appreciate info on how to do this. My eyes are getting worse and I really have trouble reading with the highlights

...what exactly are you missing?
The way I described it doesn't work for you?

Gesendet von meinem SM-G960F mit Tapatalk

On 10/18/2020 at 12:25 PM, Ford Prefect said:

...what exactly are you missing?

Gesendet von meinem SM-G960F mit Tapatalk

Where is the .bash_profile located that you edited and finally made it stick? On the Unraid stick so in boot, or are you editing the profile on your local machine?

Well, of course the .bash_profile is in the home directory of each user that you use/want to connect with, into a CLI (shell/bash) session, i.e. via ssh.

Normally this is user "root", when you are using the terminal button/icon from the dashboard, so in this case the file location is /root/.bash_profile

You can edit & save it there, but it will be gone after each reboot.

In order to persist this setting, you should edit & save the "go" script, which is located in /boot/config.

This is what I added into my go script:

# fix console colors
echo "alias ls=\"ls --color=never\"" >> /root/.bash_profile

...hope this helps.