Re-copying data and want to re-write parity

Long and short of it.  I've swapped 3 3TB drives for 6TB drives over the past ?year?.  I watch mostly the newer movies I add to the array, but when I went to watch an old movie (that was re-populated through parity rebuild) it was stuttering.  I realized more that one movie didn't play smoothly.  I, now, don't feel comfortable that unraid repopulated the data correctly (maybe not true, but...).  Decided it wasn't worth troubleshooting since I have a full backup of each disk.

So, now, I'm deleting a disk, one at a time, and copying the movies back onto the drive.   Since I have backups, I've decided to un-assign parity (speed isn't that much faster, so in hindsight I would not recommend doing that nor would I have done it).  

Question - my parity drive, when I re-assign it back into the array, will flip out some things have changed while others have stayed the same.  Should I just let it go through a party check and fix it all or should I delete all the parity data (through pre-clear utility, I guess) and let unraid rebuild from scratch???

I don't know why the array seems screwed up, a bit, but putting fresh copies of everything seems like the best move, at this point. 

It does not sound as if you understand how parity works?  If so it might be worth reading up on that as it can make things clearer on how Unraid operates.

If you have no parity at the moment, then when you re-assign the parity disk Unraid will build new parity from the current data drives completely over-writing the existing contents of the parity drive.    If you do have parity then Unraid will have been updating it in real-rime as you copied files onto the array.

doyou run periodic parity checks?    If so at what frequency (monthly appears to be a common choice)?    Do such checks complete with 0 errors (which they should)?   Are such checks run as non-correcting (recommended)?

I, too, am getting this error all the sudden.

I upsized a disk, overpopulated and found stuttery performance.  I deleted all files and am now copying back over from my good backup.  Failure errors abound.

Can't figure out why.

I'm wondering if it's the router.  Had a short in my home wiring and it tripped a breaker.  Not sure, but internet has been slightly won't.  Have been watching The Crown from unfair and never a glitch.

How can I tell my router needs replacing?  They are so expensive, now.

1 hour ago, RickInHouston said:

I, too, am getting this error all the sudden.

Here is the thread this was posted in originally:

https://forums.unraid.net/topic/79454-file-transfer-results-in-error-0x8007003b

I split it into this other recent thread of yours so we could deal with it separately from the other users issues, and because it isn't clear that you don't have multiple related problems.

Your approach to fixing these issues doesn't make much sense, to me at least.

Go to Tools - Diagnostics and attach the complete diagnostics zip file to your NEXT post.

20 minutes ago, trurl said:

Your approach to fixing these issues doesn't make much sense, to me at least.

Well, it fixed it, it seems.  

I went by my office and got a different external USB case (not really a case, but hard drive drop in).  I could not get the backup drive to be recognized.  My Windows 10 computer would ding but no explorer window opening the drive.  I moved the drive to a different USB port on my Razer laptop.  BOOM.  Drive found.  Copies like before.  No IO errors with windows copy.  Will re-download Teracopy to see if I get the createiocompletionport error (but I doubt I will).

So to whoever is getting this error.  Check every part of your connection.  Mine was the USB dock AND USB port it was plugged into.

On 1/3/2020 at 8:34 AM, RickInHouston said:

Well, it fixed it, it seems.  

I went by my office and got a different external USB case (not really a case, but hard drive drop in).  I could not get the backup drive to be recognized.  My Windows 10 computer would ding but no explorer window opening the drive.  I moved the drive to a different USB port on my Razer laptop.  BOOM.  Drive found.  Copies like before.  No IO errors with windows copy.  Will re-download Teracopy to see if I get the createiocompletionport error (but I doubt I will).

So to whoever is getting this error.  Check every part of your connection.  Mine was the USB dock AND USB port it was plugged into.

Back to not working, again.  I'm shutting it all down and walking away from it.  I can't find a work-around to rebuilding my unraid server from my backups.  I'm done with this.  Very frustrating.

• 1 month later...
On 1/8/2020 at 3:42 PM, RickInHouston said:

Back to not working, again.  I'm shutting it all down and walking away from it.  I can't find a work-around to rebuilding my unraid server from my backups.  I'm done with this.  Very frustrating.

RickInHouston

is your problem solved ? what is exactly the error which appeared ?

I went to MicroCenter and bought a new USB3 external hard drive dock.

I figured I'd be wasting my money so I unpackaged it very carefully.

Not ONE problem copying files back ever since.  There's no reason why two older docks shouldn't work and this one does.  I can only imagine, somehow, there's a limiter on the size of the hard drive or on the NAS end of it.  We're talking only 6TB.

AND the really sad thing was, all because a couple of movies weren't playing correctly.  KODI playback configuration needed a change and everything plays as it should.

I went completely stupid TWICE.