LSI 2208 to Dell EMC 36 bay

Hi guys,

My current setup is full and I want to add more drives bays.  Found a great deal on Ebay for an EMC Isilon NL 400 case (looks like a supermicro 847 chassis..)

I'm currently in a Rosewill 15 bay and using an LSI 2008 in IT mode to connect my 14 drives.  Mini SAS SFF-8087 to SATA cables.

Will an LSI 2208 work with a 847 backplane?  How would I know it has an expander or not ?  the case is barebone but has an backplane included.  The case hasn't arrived yet, but trying to plan before it's arrival.

2nd: When unplugging my existing unraid drives and putting them into the 36 bay setup.. does SATA plug vs backplane location matter?  I want to ensure I don't loose my array!

thanks

Edited by mistah
5 hours ago, mistah said:

Will an LSI 2208 work with a 847 backplane?

Yes, those ara standard SAS equipment. But search in Web found some people report not work on 2208 flash to I.T with expander .

How would I know it has an expander or not ?

Base on you said it look like 847, but I can't found detail NL400. The front 24bay of 847 have four 8087 port only and chips with big heatsink, those told you it is a expander backplane.

does SATA plug vs backplane location matter?

Also base on you flash 2208 in I.T., it dosen't matter.

Edited by Benson

Well, been playing with this 36 bay unit. really great holding 30 hard drives in 1 box now.  It's an Isilon (Dell EMC) 36 bay NL400 chassis.. about $300 on Ebay as we speak.  Great deal.. except.. it's loud AF.  A real jet engine.  The 3 central fans are horrible. I've replaced them with some spare 80mm fans, but .. now its causing the drives to overheat. Guessing I need some good high pressure (and silent) 80mm intake fans.  I've put my H55 liquid cooler on 1 CPU for testing.. works, but i can't put the top on the unit since there's no space to mount this in a 2U area (the other bottom half is taken by the rear drive bays..

This is the ebay ad: https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Supermicro-36-bay-4U-Server-Storage-Chassis-Extended-ATX-Ethernet-Freenas/202805514541?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

I may mount a 200mm fan on the top of my rack to exhaust the heat. I've ghetto mounted 3x 120mm fans on the front of the unit to draw air into it, helped bring it down by 15 degrees, but still not enough.

Expansion backplane works great with my LSI2008!

Edited by mistah
  • Like 1
On 1/10/2020 at 12:54 PM, Benson said:

Noise vs Cooling always headcahe because no space between HDD.

Ya, i've come to realize that.   This is going to be a challenge. I've seen some custom face plates with fans mounted on some supermicro 846's on youtube. I've done the same.. but still isn't enough to bring the HDD temps down.