JMB585 SATA Controllers, 5 Ports 2x 3.0 PCI

scorcho99

So every time I've gone looking for sata controllers there hasn't been much to find. We've had the asmedia 1061, the marvels that don't have a good reputation with unraid and then there's SAS controllers with flashed firmware that most people settle on. I've seen a newer version of the Asmedia but its still a 2 port version.

I saw this pop up last month:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07T3RMFFT

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07ST9CPND

Some one in the reviews already claims to have tried it with Unraid.

If you look the chip up on jmicron's site this is a Gen3 pci-e x 2 port SATA3 controller, giving you 5 ports. Seems like an interesting alternative in a land of currently sparse options. Pretty sure even if you installed these things in a 1x slot you'd have enough bandwidth to service 5 spinning rust drives.

The question is if they are reliable.

Looking good so far, but will need to use it for a few days to see if it's reliable, and even if it is for me you need more users to use to see if it's generally reliable, I agree it's to good to finally have a 4/5 port controller option, especially for users without a spare x8 slot.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • 1 month later...
On 1/3/2020 at 1:06 PM, johnnie.black said:

Looking good so far, but will need to use it for a few days to see if it's reliable, and even if it is for me you need more users to use to see if it's generally reliable, I agree it's to good to finally have a 4/5 port controller option, especially for users without a spare x8 slot.

Just checking in Johnnie to see if things were still going good with your JMB585 based SATA controller.

I've been looking for a SATA upgrade so that I can expand my array but my Dell T30 really doesn't offer a lot of space or cooling. Was considering a Dell H310 but I think that's overkill for my needs. Only going to add one more drive to this NAS and I'd like to not add a whole lot more heat which I know the LSI based cards produce. Figured I'd try a JMB585-based option and put my cache drive on that to free up a mobo port for one more HD. If you still haven't experienced any issues I think I may get the JMB585 and go with that.

• 9 months later...
1 hour ago, DrivePool9015 said:

Hi - is there any downsides at all to using this I/O Crest card vs. a dedicated LSI HBA like the 9207-8i? I only have 1 PCI slot so I'm trying to save that slot for a GPU or flash accelerator SSD, and would love to use this little M.2 adapter if there's no performance difference driving 5x 5400rpm HDDs 

Please don't double post, see reply in the other thread.