Windows 10 "cannot access" error

Ulvan

On 1/3/2020 at 6:42 PM, Ulvan said:

but none which look like a solid solution

Because there's not a one-size-fits-all solution for all Windows connections issues.

On 1/3/2020 at 6:42 PM, Ulvan said:

What's the current best practice to get unRAID working with Win10?

Usually you don't need to do nothing, just browse the shares, I never needed to do anything to get my Windows 10 desktops working with Unraid, if it's not working start by looking at this thread.

4 hours ago, johnnie.black said:

Usually you don't need to do nothing, just browse the shares, I never needed to do anything to get my Windows 10 desktops working with Unraid, if it's not working start by looking at this thread.

Start near the end of that thread.  Don't be afraid to try things.  The problem with Win10 is that is is not a single product.  There is Home, Pro, Educational, Enterprise...  You have versions 1709, 1803, 1809, 1903, 1909.  All of them are just a little bit different.  MS has also been continuously 'tightening' security on SMB for the past several years.  Win10 setups that worked for two years will suddenly not work today.  Often, it will be because the computer did a 'feature update' installing a new version, and this can easily happen behind the scenes.

What is the current (SMB) Local Master?

Have you setup your Unraid server to be the Local Master?

Have you shutdown everything on the Network, started the UnRaid server first, waited twenty minutes than start up your Win10 computer?

Are all your shares Public?  If not, what are they?

You should probably also get a Diagnostics File and post it up.   Tools   >>>   Diagnostics  

On 1/11/2020 at 2:12 PM, trurl said:

Can you still access the webUI? If not you likely have the wrong IP.

I can.

On 1/11/2020 at 4:24 AM, Frank1940 said:

What is the current (SMB) Local Master?

Have you setup your Unraid server to be the Local Master?

Have you shutdown everything on the Network, started the UnRaid server first, waited twenty minutes than start up your Win10 computer?

Are all your shares Public?  If not, what are they?

You should probably also get a Diagnostics File and post it up.   Tools   >>>   Diagnostics  

Under SMB settings local master is "Yes."

My unRAID box is always on, so it' been on for days or week before I boot into Win10.

All my shares are public.

How do I anonymize the diag file?

On 1/18/2020 at 12:37 AM, Frank1940 said:

There is a check box to do so when you go to generate the file.  The default is to anonymize...

IP addresses and other stuff isn't anonymized, so I'll skip this. I rarely use Windows anyway, so unRAID not working properly with it is yet another reason to avoid it.

Edited by Ulvan
8 minutes ago, Ulvan said:

IP addresses and other stuff isn't anonymized, so I'll skip this. I rarely use Windows anyway, so unRAID not working properly with it is yet another reason to avoid it.

First time I have heard of IP addresses that are internal to your network not being considered as anonymous!  If there are other IP addresses that you think are not anonymous then maybe it is worth mentioning examples.   You also mention 'other stuff' - examples are always welcome to see if things can be improved.

Unraid works perfectly well with Windows for the vast majority of users.   Nearly all problems have tended to be because Microsoft have made changes at the Windows end.