[SOLVED] Pre-clear drives, not showing up in unassigned

Hey all, I'm running FreeNAS on my existing NAS setup and am building NAS #2 and wanted to evaluate UnRaid. While the parts are on order, I've setup a virtualized NAS to explore the product prior to deciding if I'd like to purchase it. I've got it running OK but can't seem to add in drives to start my array. I believe UnRaid doesn't officially support virtualized environments and I fully intend to make this a physical setup, but I'm probably not going to go through the effort of implementing this on physical hardware if I can't get a feel for it first in a limited capacity. Really would appreciate any insight or guidance.

Some quick facts..

• Hypervisor - ESXi 6.5 / VSphere
  • UnRaid -  6.8.0 2019-12-10 / Linux 4.19.88-Unraid x86_64
  • Hardware - 2CPU / 4GB RAM
  • Boot Drive - USB 8GB
  • Diagnostics - attached to post

Disk Drives (VMDK) - I've run pre-clear manually on /dev/sdb, /dev/sdc, /dev/sde. I've left /dev/sd(d/f/g) alone for the time being to see if they show up under preclear l (they do not). I did make them very small as I knew preclear takes a while, not sure if that's relevant but for example, /dev/sde is 400MB.

root@Tower:/# cat /proc/partitions
major minor  #blocks  name
   7        0       9128 loop0
   7        1       5976 loop1
   8        0    7562496 sda
   8        1    7561472 sda1
   8       16    2097152 sdb
   8       17    2097120 sdb1
   8       32     819200 sdc
   8       33     819168 sdc1
   8       48    1228800 sdd
   8       64     409600 sde
   8       65     409568 sde1
   8       80    1843200 sdf
   8       96    2097152 sdg
  11        0        544 sr0

The preclear process ran fine for the drives, but they do not appear at all under the GUI when looking at the "Main" tab.

You'll notice none of the other drives show up as unassigned via preclear either.

root@Tower:/# ./preclear.sh -l
====================================1.15
 Disks not assigned to the unRAID array 
  (potential candidates for clearing) 
========================================
./preclear.sh: line 248: strings: command not found
     /dev/sr0 = ata-VMware_Virtual_IDE_CDROM_Drive_00000000000000000001
root@Tower:/# 

Obviously since these are virtual disks they don't' support SMART.. Is this a potential issue? Can I turn off SMART detection for testing purposes?

Thank you in advance.

tower-diagnostics-20200103-2011.zip

Edited by nameBrandon

Looks like someone solved this ~6 years ago.. My apologies for not realizing there was a dedicated virtualization forum with these kinds of conversations (thanks to the moderator who moved my post)!

The solution is below and involves setting a configuration parameter for your VM disks so that they receive UUID's.