[Support] kru-x - Godaddy ddns

13 hours ago, Kru-x said:

Yea you are right, the description was wrong and I change it in the template.

Didn't add the A name as it should not matter, the domain name is the A name in Godaddy and I don't know why you would need to use the A name instead of the GODADDY_DOMAINS as it do the same thing, changes the A name. But I am not a wizz and it might be something I don't know (guess it is a reason there is the option ), it works for me and I have several different Domain names on my server, all added as a comma separated list, so a little bit lost on that one.

Glad you figured your setup out and thanks for pointing my mistake out,

Kru-x

i'm only updating a couple of specific sub domain A records for one of my domains so i can generate lets encypt certs for on site services (namley unifi so that guests dont get certificate warnings on the guest portal) while the website and email etc are hosted publicly on dedicated servers.

I'm probably a bit of an edge case, but It wouldn't hurt to add the A record variable to the template with a default value of `@` in case others are in a similar position where they only want to update one specific sub domain record, or they have multiple domains.

I think this was part of the problem i was having. I have more than one domain registered, but even providing the full domain name still gave me errors. It was only after i checked the documentation on your Repo and noticed the `A_Record` variable that i was able to get it working.

Thanks again!

1 hour ago, JamiePhonic said:

i'm only updating a couple of specific sub domain A records for one of my domains so i can generate lets encypt certs for on site services (namley unifi so that guests dont get certificate warnings on the guest portal) while the website and email etc are hosted publicly on dedicated servers.

I'm probably a bit of an edge case, but It wouldn't hurt to add the A record variable to the template with a default value of `@` in case others are in a similar position where they only want to update one specific sub domain record, or they have multiple domains.

I think this was part of the problem i was having. I have more than one domain registered, but even providing the full domain name still gave me errors. It was only after i checked the documentation on your Repo and noticed the `A_Record` variable that i was able to get it working.

Thanks again!

No worries,

Re the A record again, I will link to this post in the description. I run in to the problem myself that I have one domain not on my server an if I added the A name it updates all. You are right about the special case, there is so many setups so it is hard to cater all, but as long as someone has point it it out, people will figure it out by them self, (especially if they have the need for this container.)

Have a good one,

Kru-x

• 1 month later...

Hello, I tried to use the container on one of my domains and then I wanted to revert the mapping. I removed the A key and my ip in the domain management of Godaddy but when I go to that domain it still brings up my router page instead of redirecting to the address I want it to redirect to. Could it be because my keys just haven't updated yet...it's been a couple hours...are there any other solutions...

**Fixed it just had to remove the template**

Edited by rohram04
23 minutes ago, rohram04 said:

Hello I've been trying to reenable the docker and it doesn't seem to be changing my DNS records for the specified domain. Is there a diagnostic file that I could provide so people would be able to assist me?

If you have more than one domain in your account, you may need to add an additional variable to the containter template to specify the perticular domain you want to update like i had to

4 hours ago, JamiePhonic said:

If you have more than one domain in your account, you may need to add an additional variable to the containter template to specify the perticular domain you want to update like i had to

I am only trying to do it for one Domain Name. I previous configured the DDNS for this domain..then disabled it and deleted the DNS record associating it to my ip... and then reenabled it and that seems to be causing issues as it is not changing my DNS records anymore.

6 hours ago, rohram04 said:

I am only trying to do it for one Domain Name. I previous configured the DDNS for this domain..then disabled it and deleted the DNS record associating it to my ip... and then reenabled it and that seems to be causing issues as it is not changing my DNS records anymore.

The DNS record you want to update must already exist in order for it to be updated.

If you deleted the record, you'll need to re-create it first.

Check the containers log for any errors.

On 12/27/2020 at 4:36 PM, rohram04 said:

Did you sort it out?

On 12/27/2020 at 8:06 AM, JamiePhonic said:

The DNS record you want to update must already exist in order for it to be updated.

If you deleted the record, you'll need to re-create it first.

Check the containers log for any errors.

Yes, You're right, it says no record found at my domain in the logs. What is the preconfigured record supposed to be?

**EDIT**

Nevermind I just looked back in this thread and found it. Thank you for the help! It's working like a charm.

Edited by rohram04
  • 3 months later...
1 minute ago, Jaburges said:

are people still able to use this?? 

It seems Godaddy is now forcing the use of an IP address x.x.x.x in the 'points to' for the A record 😞

Ah it seems the magic is with a CNAME not an A record.

I used to use a shell script that allowed for A records, but this CNAME set up with docker seems easier :)

• 2 years later...