Physical push button to start a VM?

Hi everyone!

I'd like to start a VM with a physical push button on the case of the pc (I suppose an arduino will be required?).

Does anyone here use something like that?

So far I could only find very old topics on the internet about projects that tried to achive this but those I found were abandoned or (according to comments) don't work anymore.

Thanks in advance! :)

22 hours ago, LiableLlama said:

I actually use a pushbutton switch to power on/off my virtual machine. If you've got an RPi I can share my code with you (wouldn't be too hard to replicate for an Arduino). I use an RPi Zero that connects to WiFi and just sends a request to my Unraid server.

That would be awesome! :)
Do you also need a docker in unraid that the RPi sends its command to?

7 hours ago, cholzer said:

That would be awesome! :)
Do you also need a docker in unraid that the RPi sends its command to?

No; it just sends a request to the Unraid server. It doesn't utilize the Unraid Electric Brain API or whatever it's called. But if you wanted to PM me your discord (for easier method of communication) I can give you a shopping list of stuff that you'll need, or whether you already have the necessary items.

• Like 1
10 hours ago, cholzer said:

Is that "www.home-assistant.io"?
as far as i understand you use the mobile app to launch the VM, not a physical push button, is that right? :)

that's right, i forward it to Apple Home. and use Siri or the Home App for launching the VM. I don't have experience with an arduino or similiar but i don't expect it to be too hard to forward it to a physical switch.

but i guess many routes leading to the goal. depens on what one need ;)

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 1/7/2020 at 10:17 PM, LiableLlama said:

No; it just sends a request to the Unraid server. It doesn't utilize the Unraid Electric Brain API or whatever it's called. But if you wanted to PM me your discord (for easier method of communication) I can give you a shopping list of stuff that you'll need, or whether you already have the necessary items.

@LiableLlama, I'd like to be able to do this.  This is great!  Can you show me how?  Whichever you are more comfortable with, PM or post here.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...