GPU pass-through with VNC - Machine Learning server

I've looked but am unable to find an answer.

Is it possible to pass through a GPU to a VM without using it as the display? Ideally I would still be able to use VNC (without the GPU processing the video) and use the GPU as a PCI device for machine learning. 

I could liken this to using a GPU for plex encoding on a remote server. I just need the GPU to run my machine learning code without out-putting video.

Thank you

hi.

Out of curiosity are you thinking of something like Vast.AI to be launched on a VM?

i was thinking of running it on the unraid server some time back, and run the processing while the VMs were down or use mining GPUs like p104.100 with a asus turbo 1080 bios passed to the vm, but never got to it in the end.
I would be curious to see how this would work.

On 1/6/2020 at 3:03 AM, Tylercollins590 said:

I've looked but am unable to find an answer.

Is it possible to pass through a GPU to a VM without using it as the display? Ideally I would still be able to use VNC (without the GPU processing the video) and use the GPU as a PCI device for machine learning. 

I could liken this to using a GPU for plex encoding on a remote server. I just need the GPU to run my machine learning code without out-putting video.

Thank you

That is a client OS problem, not an Unraid (host) problem.

Unraid simply passes through a PCIe device - it doesn't say on the tin if the PCIe device is a GPU or not.

The client OS detects the GPU and decides whether to use it for outputting video or not.

You can potentially work-around it by setting up both VNC display and additional GPU. However, if the client OS decides "oh we have a GPU" and uses it for display then it won't work. No way to know for sure without actually trying it out.

• 6 months later...