Need extra CM stacker faceplates

dschur

Does anyone know where you can buy some of the CM stacker faceplates? I'm using the 4-into-3 adapters, and my CM stacker case did not come with faceplates for the top 2 slots (1 for the button panel, 1 for the floppy).

If anyone who did the full blown drive tray thing has any extras that you are willing to part with/sell, please PM me.

Also, if you remove the top panel (don't really need any of this junk with unraid), and all of it's associated cables, how do you power the system on/off (assuming a switching power supply)?

dschur,

If you do not retain the front control panel, you have to turn off the unRaid with the power supply switch on the back of the power supply.

I opted to keep the front control panel by using eight mobile racks and the 4 into 3 sub-chassis to get 12 drives into the CM Stacker case.

I like the convenience of being able to control the unRaid server from the front panel.

I have a bunch of the front faceplates left over from building two of the unRaid servers and will be glad to send them to you for the cost of shipping if you cannot get them elsewhere.

Regards,

TCIII

Thanks TCIII for helping me track down those faceplates!

As for the front panel, for me it's got to go. I hate that most of it's functions I'll never use (6 USB, 2 Audio, 1 Firewire port), and it has 1 button that I'll ever push. Plus the cabling inside the case because of it is out of this world. I'm also holding out hope that if I have to, someday, I can put a forth drive cage, and either use my existing Adaptec ASH-1233 PATA Card (based on the Silicon Image 0680 chipset, has anyone ever tried one of these?), or use SATA to go up to 16 drives total if needed (and watch the lights in the house dim, he he ;D )

My array is up today, and it looks like I'll be spending the rest of my life copying files (1 drive at a time, about 2 TB).

Does using Kill Bill Slax on a USB/CD and copying dr4ive-to drive (NTFS->Reiser) right on the tower speed it up that much? Because right now, It's taking about 8 hrs to copy 300GB drives over 100Mb ethernet.

Also, another newbie question. My first drive added (with no Filesystem) initialized almost immediately (I thought this took 45 minutes?), but the parity calculation for that drive (300GB) took about an hour. Does this seem right, that it initialized that fast?

Thanks TCIII for helping me track down those faceplates!

As for the front panel, for me it's got to go. I hate that most of it's functions I'll never use (6 USB, 2 Audio, 1 Firewire port), and it has 1 button that I'll ever push. Plus the cabling inside the case because of it is out of this world. I'm also holding out hope that if I have to, someday, I can put a forth drive cage, and either use my existing Adaptec ASH-1233 PATA Card (based on the Silicon Image 0680 chipset, has anyone ever tried one of these?), or use SATA to go up to 16 drives total if needed (and watch the lights in the house dim, he he ;D )

My array is up today, and it looks like I'll be spending the rest of my life copying files (1 drive at a time, about 2 TB).

Does using Kill Bill Slax on a USB/CD and copying dr4ive-to drive (NTFS->Reiser) right on the tower speed it up that much? Because right now, It's taking about 8 hrs to copy 300GB drives over 100Mb ethernet.

Also, another newbie question. My first drive added (with no Filesystem) initialized almost immediately (I thought this took 45 minutes?), but the parity calculation for that drive (300GB) took about an hour. Does this seem right, that it initialized that fast?

If you are confortable with linux, yes you could boot another distro, format new drives with ReiserFS, and then copy NTFS drive data to it.  After transfering all your data, boot UnRaid, and it will recognize the drives are already formatted.  Depending on how many drives you want to do this with, it could be much faster than copying all your data via 100MBit ethernet.  If you tell me exactly what drives you have now, and how you want to end up, I might be able to suggest other ideas.

Regarding the faceplates - we have a "gazillion" of them, send me an email and I'm sure we can send some your way.

Tom, thanks for the offer of the faceplates, but TCIII has me hooked up!

As for the on-device NTFS->Resier copy, I may try that (using Kill Bill Slax off a munted CD or USB), but I'm cranking through the drive copy anyways (ding, disk 2 just got done), and it may take more time/effort to set all that up, then just let the LAN copies keep going through the day/night.

• 1 year later...