Spindown breaks Mini DLNA and requires reboot of server to fix

Hi,

My server is a home NAS in a living room and ideally, I'd like it to make as little noise as possible, but I'm struggling with a few things, but they are key to me being able to use Unraid as my O/S, so I'm hoping someone can help.

If I enable spin down of any of the drives, it seems to spin down regardless of whether there is something using the disk, for example, I have a network audio streamer that uses upnp/DLNA and I have mini Binhex Mini-DLNA installed and I am able to play music from this streamer fine, but when spin down is enabled, let's say the spin down time is 15 minutes, after that time, the streamer will no longer be able to view files on the server.  The drive spins down regardless of whether the streamer is playing files.  I tried to set it to 2 hours, but again, it spun down after 2 hours and the streamer could not access any music on the server.  When this happens, the only way to get functionality back is to restart the server.   

Once the drives have spun down, they don't seem to come back when needed.  If I manually spin them back up from the web ui, I can hear them come back, but they are not accessible until I reboot the server.

I'm having a similar issue with the S3 plugin.  It puts the server to sleep, but it will not wake up again.  I previously had an Asus motherboard and it turned out that it did not support Wake On Lan, so I returned it and bought a Supermicro X11SCH-F, which does support WOL and is enabled by default.   I have confirmed with Supermicro this morning that it is enabled.  My router supports WOL and is enabled.  Other devices on my network also support WOL and are confirmed as working.

For the moment, I have disabled the S3 plugin and also the spin down settings in Unraid.  Is it possible to have spin down and/or S3 sleep enabled and working, along with upnp/DLNA on Unraid?

Please let me know what info you need and I'll post it asap.

Unraid 6.8.0

Supermicro X11SCH-F

i3 9100F

16GB Samsung ECC

3x Seagate Ironwolf 4TB

1x Seagate Barracuda 4TB

1x Samsung 970 Pro NVMe Cache

Thanks.

Edited by Dave-M