unRAID GUI totally corrupted

That would be silly... I mean I JUST had a flash drive failure less than a month ago. Brand new never before used flash drive with a brand new install of unraid. Anyways, thanks for helping me try and figure this out, and I was able to tab around the UI enough to get the diagnostics. If it is the USB drive AGAIN, what is the literal most durable highest quality USB drive on the planet?

connollyserver-diagnostics-20200107-1903.zip

I do have a backup  but not recent enough. It hadn't even been long enough for my monthly flash backup to kick in. Yes, I do boot from a USB2 port and rebooting the server works, except this stupid GUI thing. Is there a way to know what is actually corrupted file system wise and replace just those files? I thought it would last longer than 30 days being new as my old flash drive lasted over two years and it was already 5+ years old and heavily used. This is all incredibly frustrating. I'm moving in just a couple of days so I guess ill just redo the drive from scratch AGAIN once I get all settled in the new place, unless there are some suggestions on fixing it as is.

Just some 2 cents here. I had a string of USB / mem card failures / corruptions in a short space of time. When I checked my Amazon orders they we're all through the actual vendor themselves eg. Sandisk. 

After doing some Googling I didn't seem to be the only one. When Amazon receive an order of an item, they may not pick it from a vendor's stock as advertised on their listings. They will pick it from what makes the most sense in terms of time for the person picking the order to the distance of where that item may be, even another vendor who is stocking the "same item".

So another vendor may have stock of a fake USB drive, with the same packaging, same ASIN (Amazon Standard ID), same look, but dirt cheap components. You place your order for a name branded drive, directly from the vendor. Amazon get the "same" product from another vendor, because it costs them less, and deliver the crappy one to you. 

Not saying this is exactly what happened to you, and you may have switched to another brand for your replacement, but might be worth considering.

Thanks for the input! I have found that yes, the brand new and never before been used flash drive is indeed totally busted. Windows wont even see it so I can wipe it and redo it from scratch. I do have a western digital branded flash drive, new never used, that I got free with some of the 10TB drives I shucked so I am going to, in a desperate attempt to get the server working now, set up[ a fresh install on that drive and copy the config folder over, assuming/hoping it isn't itself damaged. I mean, i JUST went through this with my old 8GB POS flash drive so its not that huge a deal but I also think this is a case and point about having unraid installed to USB flash drives, full stop.

Honestly, I would pay actual money for a hardware dongle that LT could use for DRM if that would allow me to install the OS itself onto some cheap SSD which would be hundreds of times better than a flash drive of any kind or quality, but you don't have to take my word for it. 😎

23 minutes ago, Squid said:

Or bad memory (run a memtest), as the file being referenced in the OP's screen shot is in RAM

Yes, that could certainly be a reason for various and multiple recurring issues. And memtest should definitely be done if only to eliminate it. Though I wouldn't expect it to actually kill a flash drive.

So, I've never run memtest before from the unraid USB. Unfortunately, what ended up happening is the machine flat out crashed and rebooted immediately upon selecting the memtest option from the unraid boot menu. I honestly have no idea how to proceed from here. I'm going to try a trial license of the basic unraid without any configuration and see how that plays out. If it still gives me the same error, then I can assume it's a ram issue. Unfortunately, from here I have no extra ram to fit in this machine. And I am running ECC so one would expect that it would halt the system entirely and not just be corrupted like normal ram would. Or I might be missunderstanding what ECC even does. 🤷‍♂️😩

Just now, cammelspit said:

Unfortunately, what ended up happening is the machine flat out crashed and rebooted immediately upon selecting the memtest option from the unraid boot menu.

You would have to change the boot method from the BIOS to be legacy instead of UEFI.

1 minute ago, cammelspit said:

And I am running ECC so one would expect that it would halt the system entirely and not just be corrupted like normal ram would.

Yeah, pretty much.  Memtest wouldn't catch any corrected error by ECC anyways

When I first built my unraid my USB would get corrupted every few months.  Putting it in a windows PC and running a chkdsk would fix it.  One day I took a backup of the USB and re formatted it (not a quick format) and it never corrupted again and its been years.  That stick is 7-8 years old.  May be worth a try to run a chkdsk.

I haven't had this problem ever in 6 years on my current flash drive. I literally and physically broke my previous flash before that and had to replace.

I wonder if checkdisk is the most reliable way to deal with this though. It seems to me checkdisk could wind up having to just dump important things into .fsck files.

Maybe the most reliable approach is wiping the partition then new install as seen in this post by @johnnie.black

https://forums.unraid.net/topic/85785-server-wont-boot-panic/?do=findComment&comment=795122

Then restore config folder from backup.

Ok, what is going on? I have literally reformatted a USB, put a brand new install of unraid with NOTHING but the license key and literally all of my config is there. Dockers are all there, VMs are starting... How is this possible? This should be a BRAND NEW install. So my guess is the plugins are also somehow still there and that's what is killing it.

Please, can someone tell me how to STOP unraid from loading a previous config for plugins and such? They are still loading! Also, before anyone asks, yes I manually deleted all files on the stick, reformatted it, and then used the unraid utility to build a new stick. I then added the *.key file and booted the server with NO OTHER FILES ADDED. That's it, everything is still loading and the error persists. As far as I am aware, this is supposed to be an impossibility! What is going on? How do I start from scratch? I don't want any kind of dynamix plugin to load because that is the the only thing mentioned in any of the errors I have gotten, that's all I want, why is that so hard?

17 minutes ago, cammelspit said:

Ok, what is going on? I have literally reformatted a USB, put a brand new install of unraid with NOTHING but the license key and literally all of my config is there. Dockers are all there, VMs are starting... How is this possible? This should be a BRAND NEW install. So my guess is the plugins are also somehow still there and that's what is killing it.

Please, can someone tell me how to STOP unraid from loading a previous config for plugins and such? They are still loading! Also, before anyone asks, yes I manually deleted all files on the stick, reformatted it, and then used the unraid utility to build a new stick. I then added the *.key file and booted the server with NO OTHER FILES ADDED. That's it, everything is still loading and the error persists. As far as I am aware, this is supposed to be an impossibility! What is going on? How do I start from scratch? I don't want any kind of dynamix plugin to load because that is the the only thing mentioned in any of the errors I have gotten, that's all I want, why is that so hard?

What makes you think plugins are loading?    Plugins can only be starting if you have their .plg files in the config/plugins folder on the flash drive.   As was mentioned loading plugins can be suppressed by starting in Safe Mode.   There will also be entries about the plugins loading in the syslog.

Are you saying that your array is also showing as defined.    I do not see how this would be possible unless you have copied the config folder from your previous install.

12 minutes ago, Squid said:

By either starting in safe mode or deleting any and all .plg files from /config/plugins

Plugins folder doesn't exist on USB yet still getting dynamix plugin error.

1 minute ago, itimpi said:

What makes you think plugins are loading?    Plugins can only be starting if you have their .plg files in the config/plugins folder on the flash drive.   As was mentioned loading plugins can be suppressed by starting in Safe Mode.   There will also be entries about the plugins loading in the syslog.

Are you saying that your array is also showing as defined.    I do not see how this would be possible unless you have copied the config folder from your previous install.

Yes, that is exactly what I am saying, I have tried three different USB sticks, two of which have never even had unraid installed on them ever before. Dockers and their configs are still there, array is assigned, trying to load a dynamix plugin that shouldn't and doesn't exist. I am about to lose my mind here...

3 minutes ago, cammelspit said:

Plugins folder doesn't exist on USB yet still getting dynamix plugin error.

Yes, that is exactly what I am saying, I have tried three different USB sticks, two of which have never even had unraid installed on them ever before. Dockers and their configs are still there, array is assigned, trying to load a dynamix plugin that shouldn't and doesn't exist. I am about to lose my mind here...

When you use the USB creator tool are you sure you are not pointing it to a backup of the flash drive?     That is the only way I can think of that you can retain your config.

i guess another possibility is that you still have a USB stick plugged into the server that contains your config and this is getting picked up?

1 minute ago, itimpi said:

When you use the USB creator tool are you sure you are not pointing it to a backup of the flash drive?     That is the only way I can think of that you can retain your config.

No, I am not, which is what is bothering me so much. ALL I want to keep is my *.key file and have nothing from the last install but obviously that is asking too much. I have no idea what to do now...

Just now, cammelspit said:

No, I am not, which is what is bothering me so much. ALL I want to keep is my *.key file and have nothing from the last install but obviously that is asking too much. I have no idea what to do now...

Unraid has to be picking the config up from somewhere!    Did you see my edit where I mentioned the possibility of having another USB stick plugged in that contains it?

27 minutes ago, itimpi said:

Unraid has to be picking the config up from somewhere!    Did you see my edit where I mentioned the possibility of having another USB stick plugged in that contains it?

Yeah, I checked like 500x. Also I have the machine open and I have found that one of my ram sticks is totally bad. When installed into the server the server wont boot and gives me a post code for missing ram. two of the other sticks work fine alone and work just as well paired so I am gonna just try restoring my backup 100% and see if I am just a moron. Still doesn't explain the phantom configuration issue but if it works I won't really care... I'll let you all know how it goes in a few. I reread the thread to make sure I didn't miss anything and I saw that ram was mentioned earlier which prompted me to look into it. 🤞

Ok, so no luck still. I have only one of the sticks in there and still the same issue over and over again. Where the heck is the dynamix stuff being loaded from? as in the screenshot in the first post, if that location is in RAM, where is it copying it from if there is NO plugins folder on the USB at all?