Upgrading Cache Drive

Ok so I am in the middle of swapping out my cache drive, and I started doing it as if it was a drive in my array before I realized it didn't work the same and I found this article:

https://wiki.unraid.net/index.php/Replace_A_Cache_Drive

So here is what I did:

1. Shutdown the unRAID server, installed new SSD, left old one in there still connected.
  2. Booted up, stopped the array, unassigned the old cache drive, and assigned the new one, started the array back up (including dockers and VMs).
    1. At this point I tried clicking the button to invoke the mover and nothing really happened and that's when I realized I was doing something wrong.
  3. Found the above article, stopped the array again, set all my shares to Cache: Yes that were using the Cached drive and started the array and invoked the mover and it started moving stuff, however...

I was keeping track of how this was progressing so I could get a rate of how quickly stuff was moved off the cache drive, and it stopped moving at 88.7%, should I be concerned?

88.7% - 6:26 PM
88.7% - 6:15 PM
88.8% - 5:12 PM
89.8% - 4:51 PM
90.4% - 4:41 PM
90.8% - 4:31 PM

59 minutes ago, trurl said:

You absolutely must NOT do that.

You should never mix disks and user shares when moving or copying files. Cache is a disk and cache is also part of user shares. That is scenario #1 I talk about here:

https://forums.unraid.net/topic/61985-file-browser-in-webui/?do=findComment&comment=723474

So thoughts on what I should do? It's still at 67.1% full, but the mover says it's still running.

You have duplicates as expected. You really need to have your appdata and system share completely on cache and set to stay on cache. That will require several steps. We can get to that.

Let it go for a while and see if it gets to the end. Keep checking syslog to see that it is making progress. As long as you don't run out of log space.

Might as well turn off Mover logging since it isn't telling us anything useful. You might delete some old logs, var/log/syslog.1, syslog.2, etc. and get that space back but not sure if it would help since the error has already occurred.

I have this in my go file, but it is commented out:

mount -o remount,size=384m /var/log

Ok, I rebooted, set my shares to Prefer on cache. Seeing this in the mover log now, shouldn't it be trying to move stuff to the cache folder instead of "disk1" ?

Jan 7 18:30:17 Dataserver2 move: move: file /mnt/disk1/appdata/binhex-delugevpn/privoxy/templates/show-request Jan 7 18:30:17 Dataserver2 move: move_object: /mnt/disk1/appdata/binhex-delugevpn/privoxy/templates/show-request File exists Jan 7 18:30:17 Dataserver2 move: move: file /mnt/disk1/appdata/binhex-delugevpn/privoxy/templates/show-status Jan 7 18:30:17 Dataserver2 move: move_object: /mnt/disk1/appdata/binhex-delugevpn/privoxy/templates/show-status File exists Jan 7 18:30:17 Dataserver2 move: move: file /mnt/disk1/appdata/binhex-delugevpn/privoxy/templates/show-status-file Jan 7 18:30:17 Dataserver2 move: move_object: /mnt/disk1/appdata/binhex-delugevpn/privoxy/templates/show-status-file File exists Jan 7 18:30:17 Dataserver2 move: move: file /mnt/disk1/appdata/binhex-delugevpn/privoxy/templates/show-url-info Jan 7 18:30:17 Dataserver2 move: move_object: /mnt/disk1/appdata/binhex-delugevpn/privoxy/templates/show-url-info File exists Jan 7 18:30:17 Dataserver2 move: move: file /mnt/disk1/appdata/binhex-delugevpn/privoxy/templates/toggle Jan 7 18:30:17 Dataserver2 move: move_object: /mnt/disk1/appdata/binhex-delugevpn/privoxy/templates/toggle File exists Jan 7 18:30:17 Dataserver2 move: move: file /mnt/disk1/appdata/binhex-delugevpn/privoxy/templates/toggle-mini Jan 7 18:30:17 Dataserver2 move: move_object: /mnt/disk1/appdata/binhex-delugevpn/privoxy/templates/toggle-mini File exists Jan 7 18:30:17 Dataserver2 move: move: file /mnt/disk1/appdata/binhex-delugevpn/privoxy/templates/untrusted Jan 7 18:30:17 Dataserver2 move: move_object: /mnt/disk1/appdata/binhex-delugevpn/privoxy/templates/untrusted File exists Jan 7 18:30:17 Dataserver2 move: move: file /mnt/disk1/appdata/binhex-delugevpn/privoxy/templates/url-info-osd.xml Jan 7 18:30:17 Dataserver2 move: move_object: /mnt/disk1/appdata/binhex-delugevpn/privoxy/templates/url-info-osd.xml File exists Jan 7 18:30:17 Dataserver2 move: move: file /mnt/disk1/appdata/binhex-delugevpn/privoxy/config Jan 7 18:30:17 Dataserver2 move: move_object: /mnt/disk1/appdata/binhex-delugevpn/privoxy/config File exists

Post diagnostics. Then disable mover logging so you don't fill log again. I didn't really intend for you to start mover again until we had a look and probably changed some things.

Mover can't move open files, which means it won't be able to move anything associated with your dockers and VMs while they are going. And it won't overwrite existing files, so the duplicates will have to be taken care of separately.

Yes because as helpful as you are trying to be, you aren't really giving me guidance here. I laid out steps and asked what do I do after a reboot, and you didn't respond so I asked if anyone else can help and you replied back again with "reboot". I have been asking for help and you've been giving me short answers.

This is a forum, not a live chat. Give me steps, not a single step. I wait hours for answers being given 1 step at a time.

Practically everyone you will encounter on this forum are just users like yourself. Some of us try to help out when we have time by volunteering our time and knowledge. Sometimes I am not at the computer, many times I am helping on other threads.

Sorry I let you run mover logging so long it caused problems of its own, that was a mistake on my part.

You have some things that need to be changed before you try to setup your dockers again. There will likely be a number of things that have to be done, and some of them may require working at the command line. For example

22 hours ago, trurl said:

Mover can't move open files, which means it won't be able to move anything associated with your dockers and VMs while they are going. And it won't overwrite existing files, so the duplicates will have to be taken care of separately.

For another, your user shares aren't really set correctly for docker to work with cache. Getting all this straightened out will take some time and patience from both of us.

One of the reasons I haven't given you everything all at once is because it is helpful to see the results from one thing before proceeding to the next.

Post new diagnostics just so I can make sure I have the latest situation and then let me review them and see if I can get some organization into this.