Windows randomly drops share - no longer accessible

I am having a lot of issues with unraid on windows in terms of networking.

Its happened on 3 windows instances now, one of which resides as a VM within unraid.

For a couple of days all hunkey dory no issues, goto network select the server up it pops.

Then randomly at some point, windows no longer likes the share, when you select the main server it asks for a user name and password

I have no user name or password set.

Coming from OpenMediaVault, I have never encountered this issue. Its just screwed up days of database building by Roon.

Is there a setting somewhere in Unraid to make it work with windows?

not sure what else I can tell you.

Set up unraid.

Set up shares as public accessible.

works for days without issues

Then boom. all shares are dropped in all windows machines across the network and to access those shares, all windows instanceswants user name and password. I would blame windows, but really I am not so sure.

It did this at the same time on three different machines I have later worked out.

I have a VM running windows for roon and another VM running plex. At the same time both VMs lost their SMB connection to the unraid server. 

Router is Untangle. Server is a twin cpu zeon, 48 gigs ram, networking around the home is Ubiquiti/unifi.

I'll check out the sticky. And I'll wonder why three computers dropped the server at once :)

OK, I'll dig out how to do diagnostics and send them over when it happens again.

For now I restarted the windows machines and I can connect to the share with / in the name box and nothing in the password box.

Most odd.

I suppose this would be far simplier with dockers, but I cannot get my head round them lol.

2 hours ago, garethsnaim said:

For now I restarted the windows machines and I can connect to the share with / in the name box and nothing in the password box.

That just means you are logging in as a guest. Any username that isn't one you created in the Unraid webUI (and note that root is not one you created) will just have guest access.

But Windows is a little tricky. Even though it pops up a login doesn't necessarily mean it will actually use it if it already has established a login.

Read that sticky.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I went through that thread the only answer seems to be to delete entries from credentials manager. I have no credentials listed for unraids addy, I would not expect one I should be able to connect as a guest as this is how its set up.

Its a real shame, and frankly very typical of free open source software, where the issues is always someone elses fault., however I have paid good money for unraid.

I have never experienced this issue with OpenMediaVault, neither freenas (Which actually I did not particularly like for other reasons) and thats on the same kit I am now running unraid.

My only hope is Unraid take responsibility and fix it. What ever the issue is, all I see from my end is a problem with Unraid not working with the largest consumer operating system on earth.

3 minutes ago, garethsnaim said:

My only hope is Unraid take responsibility and fix it. What ever the issue is, all I see from my end is a problem with Unraid not working with the largest consumer operating system on earth.

Do you think if this was a general Unraid issue there wouldn't be more people complaining? Windows is certainly the most used OS together with Unraid, it's also what I use.

Like mentioned:

On 1/7/2020 at 8:24 PM, trurl said:

Even better if you could get us diagnostics when this happens.

You can also increase Sambo log level, it might help detect where the problem is:

Go to Settings -> SMB -> SMB Extras and add:

log level = 3
logging = syslog

Then post diags after the problem manifests itself.

Sorry for being curt earlier, I was frustrated. 

I really prefer access as a guest, particularly for my family and for things like roon or plex or other apps that connect to network shares. I suppose if I have to have it that its not guest access then it is what it is. I am enjoying other elements of unraid immensely, but in all my tinkerings I have never encountered an issue like this over SMB.

Even more frustrating is today its working perfectly! I will try and gather logs when it misbehaves again.

OK, one thing to have a look at at.  Open the  Control Panel and click on Network and Sharing Center.  In the left panel click on Change advance sharing settings.  Let's have a look at couple of things. 

Under Private let's turn on Turn on Network Discovery and check the box for Turn on automatic setup of network connected devices

Under Guest or Public ,  Let's turn on Turn on network discovery.

Under All Networks look at the Password Protected Sharing and make sure that is turned off. 

The final one may not directly affect your problem so if you are super security conscious, you might want to turn it back off.   (MS did a bit of changing the default settings on some of these options in last fall's updating and I had problems that setting them this way fixed.) 

Edited by Frank1940