Help/Ideas for a Server

Hi,

I have a small development studio, we are 3 people, and we spend most of our time in our office.

We wanted to invest in gaming PCs for each of us, and a heavy workload server, all these will be funded by a client.

But then we thought, why cant we use the server itself, with multiple GPUs to make a VM gaming server, instead of having 3 PCs and a server.

The configuration I am looking for is something like:

AMD ThreadRipper 3970x / or the latest 3990x that was released yesterday

128 GB ram

4x Samsung Evo Plus

3x RTX 2080Ti

What we will be running is the following:

3 Windows instances with dedicated GPUs and NVMEs for each instance.

2 Linux Instances

1 Mac sharing the 4th NVME with the linux instances

We are all in the same office room, so cabling won't be an issue.

My concerns are, will this setup work in general? are there are anything that I should be worried about? is unraid is the best solution for me?

Thank you in advance for your help.

Unraid can do all of that.  That's a beast of a build if you guys do it, nice to have someone else paying as well.  My only concern would be finding a mobo to suit those needs with the latest gen of ryzen processors.  I just attmempted a smaller 3700X build and was not satisfied with the MOBO options.  Of course, the things I was interested in having you may not (ecc memory support, BMS, multiple NICs etc.).  

6 hours ago, statecowboy said:

Unraid can do all of that.  That's a beast of a build if you guys do it, nice to have someone else paying as well.  My only concern would be finding a mobo to suit those needs with the latest gen of ryzen processors.  I just attmempted a smaller 3700X build and was not satisfied with the MOBO options.  Of course, the things I was interested in having you may not (ecc memory support, BMS, multiple NICs etc.).  

Thank you for your reply.

There are some good MOBOs for threadripper, things with XL ATX etc, but we are looking at the option of using EPYC CPU too, in that case we will go with server level MOBOs, and I think all the features you’re looking for are there,  but again I have no experience in that field, more in the regular PC setups.

Dont' see why Unraid can't handle any of that. Linus took this to the extreme with their "7 Gamers 1 CPU" project and more recently "6 Editors 1 CPU" project.

That being said some snags will be

1. making sure you have long enough cable runs so that your Monitors / Mice / keyboards can run from wherever your team is sitting to the server.
  2. Passing through individual USB devices might be tricky, many devices report the same name back to the server so might be easier getting different keyboards and mices for each workstation, or even better passing through a PCI-E card instead.
  3. Consider your networking, might be better to have individual NICs via another PCI-E card.

Also if you don't need the storage benefits of Unraid, why not just go with something like Proxmox?