[SOLVED] [6.8] VMs missing after adding cache drive to pool and reboot

Recently upgraded from 5.0rc11.  I'm really liking 6.8 and all the features now built in to unraid.  I have my docker containers and VMs on shares that are set to prefer, so files are on cache.  I added a second cache drive and rebooted.  After reboot, docker containers are fine but VMs are missing from GUI.  Any help is greatly appreciated.  

Best Regards,

Jimmy

voyagerold-diagnostics-20200107-1813.zip

Thanks for the reply.  I only have the one libvirt.img file.  This is a new build/upgrade and I am still testing 6.8, so no backups yet.  I went ahead and re-defined one of the VMs (Windows XP) and on boot it gets a BSOD using the existing virtual disk.  I tried going into Windows recovery mode to run chkdsk and XP setup tells me that no hard disk is installed, but if you don't boot from the CD it boots from the disk and then gets into a BSOD boot loop.  😕

Honestly, I'm disappointed.  This is my first time using VMs with 6.8 and I've already lost my VM configurations and one of my virtual disks is corrupted, won't boot and I don't know how to fix it.  The only thing that's changed since I had this problem is I added a second cache drive to create a cache pool.  When I rebooted to add the drive to the array the VM wasn't even running, it we stopped.  Since the VMs are running on the cache drive, it seems likely that the addition of the drive has damaged the VMs. 

So I have no idea how/why this happened and that has me concerned with regards to reliability of the functionality.

So now when I try to create a new Windows XP VM, it boots into setup and then won't install because it says "Setup did not find any hard disks in your computer."  I must be doing something stupid.  I'm pretty sure I am following the exact same procedure I did the first time when I successfully created the first WinXP VM.

Edited by JimmyJoe
1 minute ago, JimmyJoe said:

So now when I try to create a new Windows XP VM, it boots into setup and then won't install because it says "Setup did not find any hard disks in your computer."  I must be doing something stupid.  I'm pretty sure I am following the exact same procedure I did the first time when I successfully created the first WinXP VM.

Did you install the virtio drivers?

22 minutes ago, JimmyJoe said:

The only thing that's changed since I had this problem is I added a second cache drive to create a cache pool.  When I rebooted to add the drive to the array the VM wasn't even running, it we stopped.  Since the VMs are running on the cache drive, it seems likely that the addition of the drive has damaged the VMs. 

Something went wrong during that, we can't see what because the logs are after rebooting, but you can add cache devices and keep everything working as it was, next time you need to grab diags before rebooting.

25 minutes ago, testdasi said:

You either set up your vdisk as SATA previously (which should not need virtio driver) or you indeed installed the drivers from the iso.

I think I had set them as IDE.  I just checked the vdisk bus for the first WinXP VM and it was set to virtio, but I never installed the virtio drivers when I installed XP.  I changed it to IDE and it bootup up just fine.  I only installed WinXP as a test because I had the iso handy.  I'll probably try to install with the virtio drivers later, just to go through the process.  Thanks for your help.  I understand why it wasn't working now for the vdisk, just not how it got changed for one of my VMs.

Edited by JimmyJoe
30 minutes ago, johnnie.black said:

Something went wrong during that, we can't see what because the logs are after rebooting, but you can add cache devices and keep everything working as it was, next time you need to grab diags before rebooting.

Thanks for your help.  I think I am going to try to reproduce this again later when I have some time, but for now will mark this solved and just make sure to have good backups.  :)

• JimmyJoe changed the title to [SOLVED] [6.8] VMs missing after adding cache drive to pool and reboot