5900RPM NAS or 7200RPM Normal??

19 minutes ago, sonuyos said:

Speed is not issue considering cache of ssd.

So NAS?

No. "NAS" designation is not required.

When it comes to Unraid, you just buy the cheapest available HDD from a reputable dealer who is familiar with shipping HDD.

e.g. Amazon is reputable but they have recently sent me a HDD in an unpadded cardboard envelope so they are certainly NOT familiar with shipping HDD.

All those "NAS" and "Enterprise" blabla are mostly irrelevant.

So your question is really just 5900rpm vs 7200rpm e.g. noise level, power consumption, speed and most importantly price.

There are arguments for and against specific NAS disks, you pay your money and make your choice.

WD 8TB shucked from external drives are popular due to the price/TB , these are 5400rpm drives but still write / read faster than gigabit.

Other options availble, ED blue can have an issue with intellepart still.

As above, SSD or SSDs in the cache drive should buffer smaller writes to let he array spin down, fast disk just generate heat and noise.

Personally I buy what's competitively priced and delivered from a vender trusted to pack it in more than an envelope. One benifit of schucking externals, at least there is some packaging.

The cheapest and the best i can find is apparantely a NAS only.

i.e. https://www.amazon.com/Seagate-IronWolf-Internal-Hard-Drive/dp/B01LOOJBQY/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=nas+ironwolf+ncq&qid=1578507266&sr=8-3

Other than this there is WD Blue - https://www.amazon.com/WD-Blue-4TB-Hard-Drive/dp/B013HNYV8I/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=wd+blue&qid=1578507320&refinements=p_n_feature_keywords_four_browse-bin%3A8067154011&rnid=8067147011&s=pc&sr=1-1

As someone pointed out earlier that speed is really not important for unraid as most of the stuff is stored on cache (24hours past) and when it comes to read, it will be mostly movies or games (that is transfering games to main ssd), so i dont know if high speed would be useful too.

5 minutes ago, Decto said:

There are arguments for and against specific NAS disks, you pay your money and make your choice.

WD 8TB shucked from external drives are popular due to the price/TB , these are 5400rpm drives but still write / read faster than gigabit.

Other options availble, ED blue can have an issue with intellepart still.

As above, SSD or SSDs in the cache drive should buffer smaller writes to let he array spin down, fast disk just generate heat and noise.

Personally I buy what's competitively priced and delivered from a vender trusted to pack it in more than an envelope. One benifit of schucking externals, at least there is some packaging.

These? - https://www.amazon.com/Elements-Desktop-Hard-Drive-WDBWLG0080HBK-NESN/dp/B07D5V2ZXD/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=8TB+EASYSTORE&qid=1578507509&s=electronics&sr=1-1

And do you mean WD Blue?

46 minutes ago, sonuyos said:

Yes, that one and the My Book. The ones I have contain the He10 Ultrastar slowed down to 5400rpm and likely with some advanced raid features switched off. (not an issue with unraid).  Obviously there is some warranty risk, but I paid only a little more thany buying 4TB reds, keep an eye out for sales. Warranty is a mixed blessing anyhow, likely you have to pay to send of the drive and you get a refurbished one back some time later. In any case you still lose your data unless backed up or protected by parity.

The My Book had an EZAZ while these are EMAZ. Both drive codes have exactly the same bios version though so I suspect they are the same.

6TB and below external drives mostly contain relabled WD blue drives, I have a 4TB and I can't turn off the head parking after 8 seconds, until I figured it was doing this it clocked up >800k cycles vs a design of 300k in 12 months as logs were being written to it constantly. 

Edited by Decto
21 minutes ago, Decto said:

Yes, that one and the My Book. The ones I have contain the He10 Ultrastar slowed down to 5400rpm and likely with some advanced raid features switched off. (not an issue with unraid).  Obviously there is some warranty risk, but I paid only a little more thany buying 4TB reds, keep an eye out for sales. Warranty is a mixed blessing anyhow, likely you have to pay to send of the drive and you get a refurbished one back some time later. In any case you still lose your data unless backed up or protected by parity.

The My Book had an EZAZ while these are EMAZ. Both drive codes have exactly the same bios version though so I suspect they are the same.

6TB and below external drives mostly contain relabled WD blue drives, I have a 4TB and I can't turn off the head parking after 8 seconds, until I figured it was doing this it clocked up >800k cycles vs a design of 300k in 12 months as logs were being written to it constantly. 

I problem is for me that it is a lucky draw, some saying its blue, some saying red some saying even green. However i am buying cross region so for me, warranty is fickle either way. I am not sure what to do.