When you come across a wide open UNRAID server...

What do people here do when they come across a wide open unraid server accessible on the internet?  Ideally I'd like to let the owner know just how exposed they are but other than renaming their server to something like "This server is open to the internet", I'm not sure of any other way.

In the last 24hours I've come across about 5 such servers without specifically going looking for them.  For now I've just left them alone and moved on, but I worry about them.

12 hours ago, BRiT said:

Turn them off?

Every. Single. Time.

Eventually they will either figure out how to secure it, or they will post here or email Tom for help, or they will give up running unraid.

We don't need the bad publicity of somebodies hacked unraid server being used for some nefarious purpose, better to just shut it down so the bad guys can't use it.

One of the unintended consequences of leaving the server fully exposed is that somebody can easily steal your license. That's bad for limetech, in multiple ways.

One option - if you can get to the command line, you could type something like this:

/usr/local/emhttp/webGui/scripts/notify -e "Your Unraid server is not secured" -s "I found your Unraid on the Internet without a password" -d "You need to secure this before someone hacks you" -i "alert"

That will give them a notification on the webgui and send them an email (if they have that configured)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

there are a lot of Unraid servers exposed to the www, shodan shows a lot of them, they are mostly secured with password (the default login page)

i totally don't understand why people are expose the gui config to the www go use a VPN...

if i found an unprotected server i turn them off. is it legal? not sure, i'm not hacking them, there is no login required, so....

If someone runs into an exposed unraid system- they should contact limetech and give them the license # so they can contact them and advise them on what to do next.  Usually there is an email on file with them.

Maybe shut it down to prevent others from pwning it.

Edited by jordanmw
  • Thanks 1