Unraid Mirrored BTRFS Cache with Samsung SSD?

Good day everyone,

I am glad to be apart of the community. I am still building my system, awaiting parts. i was considering buying a second 1TB Samsung SSD to use as a mirrored cache in BTRFS for my server. I recall sometime back where was a thread i found on the forums with numerous people having performance issues with Samsung SSD and that configuration. My question is, has this been dealt with by the unraid team? what was the fix if there was a work around? should i go ahead and buy another 1tb SSD? Or just stick to the basics and use XFS and one ssd? 

Also I tend to download alot of movies and videos (FTP), should the downloads be sent to the cache drive and have my VMs use an unassigned drive ssd, to reduce any performance issues? Please guide me. what the best configuration for cache at the moment? Thank you in advance to anyone who responds. 

Hardware in Transit:

CPU: E5-2690v3

Mobu: Supermicro X10srl-f

32gigs of RAM

1TB Samsung SSD

best regards,

Shane.

Hi Shane,

I have been running Samsung SSD Drives for 4+ years as part of a cache pool and recently just added my fourth Samsung SSD to the pool without any issues. Prior to that I had used a single spinner for the cache drive. I also use a Samsung SSD Pro Drive through unassigned devices for my Plex transcodes and for VM's. Transcoding creates a lot of writes to a drive and can burn through a warranty & lifespan pretty quickly on the lower grade SSD models.

Perhaps others have had issues with Samsung SSD's, but for myself I have not.

I've had an Unraid server running for 8+/- years now and have always funneled everything through the cache drives before dumping onto the storage drives. As a result I feel I get a longer lifespan out of my drives because they don't have to spin up every time something is added ... a few of my old drives have 60,000+ hours and are still chugging along.

I've been using the forum for years without posting to search and solve any dilemmas that I got myself in to, so this is the first time posting on the forum.

I thought I would quickly give you a reply since I have a similar setup to what you are planning to do.

Have fun setting up your new server!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • 3 weeks later...
Hi Shane,

I have been running Samsung SSD Drives for 4+ years as part of a cache pool and recently just added my fourth Samsung SSD to the pool without any issues. Prior to that I had used a single spinner for the cache drive. I also use a Samsung SSD Pro Drive through unassigned devices for my Plex transcodes and for VM's. Transcoding creates a lot of writes to a drive and can burn through a warranty & lifespan pretty quickly on the lower grade SSD models.

Perhaps others have had issues with Samsung SSD's, but for myself I have not.

I've had an Unraid server running for 8+/- years now and have always funneled everything through the cache drives before dumping onto the storage drives. As a result I feel I get a longer lifespan out of my drives because they don't have to spin up every time something is added ... a few of my old drives have 60,000+ hours and are still chugging along.

I've been using the forum for years without posting to search and solve any dilemmas that I got myself in to, so this is the first time posting on the forum.
I thought I would quickly give you a reply since I have a similar setup to what you are planning to do.

Have fun setting up your new server!

Good day,

Do you have any disk encryption on your array and cache? If so what format are they?

Is your array xfs? And you cache btrfs?
And are they both encrypted?

Regards,
Shane.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk