Software version, or like unraid for windows only for HDD management ?

Hi,

Is there any commercial version of Unraid, even with functionnalities limited to disk management (but allowing the same home made raid system as unraid) ?

If not would you know of a win x64 software that would have the same disk management functionnalities (up to 2 parity disks, read sollicitating only 1 disk, etc.) ?

Many thanks in advance

There are couple of different options.  There is storage spaces but it has its limits/quirks.  There is snapraid and a drive pooling software.  I'm unsure what you are looking for in a commercial version of unraid?  That might help and answering your first question.  

Edited by Aaron Arnold

Many thanks for your answer.

What i m looking for is the possibilty Under win10, using a software that would allow more or less the same flexibilty in terms of HDD managements. I mean by that :

- a "raid" solution that use up to 2 parity HDD (i m assuming here all HDD have the same size), but only write a file on one HDD like unraid, allowing to only sollicitate ONE disk when reading that file (this last point is one of the most important for me, noise management)

- behavior would have to be like unraid, i mean each data disk being readable if needed (in case of computer or disk Failure for example) on any computer without requiring the "unraid like" software

- the possibility to use a couple of SSD as cache for the raid, that couple of SSD also being the support of the OS (windows10 ideally), possible in RAID 0 (raid 0 would be managed by motherboard though)

Look at storage spaces, I can't remember if windows 10 supports it or not but I think it does.  But honestly I've used most of them and so for unraid has all the features that I'd ever want/need.  The thing with storage spaces it has a really weird quirk with how you add disks, that I didn't like, I also feel it's still not mature enough.  That is completely a personal opinion so take it with all the implied quotes :).   

1 minute ago, Aaron Arnold said:

I also feel it's still not mature enough.

Agree, recently was using storage spaces to mirror one NVMe device on my Windows desktop, out of the blue lost access to the volume, and couldn't get it working with either of the devices alone, lost all data and not a device problem, luckily I do a daily sync of that drive to my Unraid server.

• 3 months later...

Hi,

Like the previous user, I would like the following features on a Home PC Windows 10 computer for my storage drive media. I have multiple 3tb and 4tb hard drives currently mirrored so my 18 TB of drive space becomes 9Tb of usable space.

- a "raid" solution that use up to 2 parity HDD, but only write a file on one HDD like unraid, allowing to only sollicitate ONE disk when reading that file (this last point is one of the most important for me, noise management)

- behavior would have to be like unraid, i mean each data disk being readable if needed (in case of computer or disk Failure for example) on any computer without requiring the "unraid like" software

- is able to work with multiple hard drives of different capacities and specifications

The boot drive for the system is an SSD with system imaging and versioning to be able to restore the drive to any previous image in the event of corruption, malware or other issues. This drive is kept separate to the storage drive system.

I don't want to do the UnRaid OS and run my Windows 10 machine via a VM all the time, as this seems needlessly complicated for a dedicated windows 10 machine.

Is there a software version that runs under windows 10 that can run without the OS and virtual machines?

Thanks in advance for your help!!

PS. I've discounted doing Raid5 and 6 due to the varying disk sizes/specifications. My current second choice for the solution is using drivepool to create a large virtual drive for media and file storage, with selective file mirroring for common use files, and a daily run of SnapRAID with two parity drives.

Edited by ADQ