Mac access on SMB won't work for private shares

I am finding that unless I open up the shares so they are secure as opposed to private - i.e. guest has read only then the Mac won't connect to them? I get the dreaded "The operation can't be completed because the original item for 'myfolder' can't be found"

Anyone got any ideas how to get SMB working correctly on Macs. I've got a few smart devices in the home now and would like to tighten up security on my shares so you can't read what is on them without username and password.

Edited by planetwilson
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 3 years later...

I just ran into this same issue. Initially I was able to have Private shares and everything was working.  As near  as I can tell, this is what broke me:

I had a working share called "photos" and one called "videos".  They were working fine as "private" shares. These shares were only included on "disk2" and nothing else.

I then created a new "multimedia" share that only included disk2 as well with "private" settings. It was working fine this way.

From the CLI I consolidated by doing a "mv /mnt/disk2/photos /mnt/disk2/multimedia". I then tried to mount up my multimedia share and started getting the  "can't be completed" error.

I tried to reboot, move the share name, etc etc.  Nothing would fix it other than setting the share to be "secure" permissions.  This allows it to work just fine.  Setting it back to "private" breaks it again.  

Its odd to me that it was working fine, then I did the manual move operation and it started failing on ALL my shares.

I'd love for this to work with "private" again. Any thoughts?

11 minutes ago, hornet136 said:

I'd love for this to work with "private" again. Any thoughts?

I'm running Sonoma and have zero problems.  I'd check that in Finder under locations that you are connected as your specific username.  Disconnect the open shares and the location, then on the location reconnect and ensure that it's connected as the user in question

Hanging my head in shame.

I literally just figured out it was that I was not connecting as my user.

I had gone through the force quit of finder several times during my testing. I fully expected that to have shown the "connect as" dialog at the top of the list.  It was not so I did not initially realize that I was actually connecting as guest.  I had done it from 3 different macs!

So, sure enough when you actually force yourself to log in, it actually works. Imagine that.  

Well my shame will hopefully help someone else double check that they are indeed providing their credentials, even when you get this silly dialog that does not actually give you a hint to the real problem.